3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Ram 5.7 Crank No Start... HELP Please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 11:45 AM
rcdognz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 Ram 5.7 Crank No Start... HELP Please.

Hey guys, hope all is well with everyone. I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm no mechanic, I'm quite literally the furthest thing from one but money is tight right now so i gotta do what i gotta do.

my 04 ram 5.7 cranks but won't start. This happened randomly out of no where. I used the truck one day, turned it off and hasn't turned on since. When the truck is cranking it seems like it's going to turn on but it doesn't.

Truck turns on with starter fluid for a bit but then shuts off. So i figured maybe the fuel pump went bad. Replaced it and still nothing. The wiring harness that goes to the fuel pump looked a little beat up so I replaced that next,, still nothing. I then replaced the crank sensor, still nothing... fuses are good. I tried a different relay where the fuel pump relay goes and still nothing.

I should note that a few months ago I replaced the TIPM because my headlights and wipers both stopped working and I was told it was the TIPM so I replaced it. Got it used on a ebay... (I'm gna try putting the old one back on to see if anything changes)

I'm not hearing the fuel pump prime when I turn the key so it's not receiving power... but this is where I'm stuck.

Also, check engine light is on but scanner isn't picking up any codes.

hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance.
UPDATE: I did try the old TIPM to see if that would make a difference but it was actually worse. The truck had zero power. Nothing worked. So I put the other TIPM back on.

Last edited by rcdognz; 10-07-2021 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean Nicholls (10-18-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 12:00 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Are you getting power with either a test light or power probe to the fuel pump? If you are not getting power, I would look at the big connector on the driver side frame rail. Be sure all the wires have not been pulled out of the connector. And If you have a DVOM you can ohm test the wires. That would be a start. If you do have a broken wire, you can do a wire overlay on that circuit.

Old 10-11-2021, 06:08 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Good input by mastertech.
It sounds like your fuel pump is not working. Check to see if it is getting power when you turn the key on.
Try to find out the cause for the caution light. There are videos for reading Dodge Ram codes without a scanner.

Quick Reply: 04 Ram 5.7 Crank No Start... HELP Please.