3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Ram 1500 No Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 09:59 AM
Orhnry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Ram 1500 No Crank No Start

Hey guys. I've had some issues with intermittent no crank no start on my 04 Ram 1500. It all started back in June one day I went to turn the truck on and the starter made a single clunk sound. I ended up replacing the starter and that didn't fix it. Somehow that day it decided to start for no real reason. After that it ran fine but sounded like it was weak to start sometimes. A few weeks ago same thing happened and it wouldn't start again. I didn't really have time to check it so I left it sit until yesterday I needed to pick something up and prayed it would start and it did. The only weird thing I notice is that the guage cluster shows all gears lit up. When I shift through them a few times it goes back to normal. Any tips on what this could be?

Edit: Forgot to mention during the winter sometimes my ETC light will appear and my revs will bounce unless I restart the truck which makes it go away. Not sure if relevant or not.

Last edited by Orhnry; 10-19-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: New info
Old 10-19-2021, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Moving this to Third Gen Ram section for ya.

The following users liked this post:
Orhnry (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 11:51 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I rec you first tackle the start problem.
What is your battery voltage static? Should be at least 12.4v, 12.7 is better.
When you test the engine as a ground are you still getting same reading?
While testing battery voltage, have someone start the truck. How much did the voltage drop? It should drop, but not below 10v.
Ideally you would get a reading when the starter is not working correctly. This will help you determine if problem is starter, battery, or connections.
Let us know testing results and we'll go from there.
Regarding the lit up gears and bouncing revs, a bad ground connection will cause all kinds of crazy problems.

Quick Reply: 04 Ram 1500 No Crank No Start