3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgraded radiator and setup and now it's backflowing into the resi!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 10:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
A radiator pressure tester should not be used while the engine is running. The cap of the pressure tester is basically a solid plug and will not allow coolant to have a path to the overflow, so the system will bust for sure if you do this.... like a sealed pressure cooker.

I'm having trouble understanding "back flowing in the resi"....

If the radiator is full while cold and you run the engine, the coolant heats up, expands and overflows into the tank. Now as it cools, it the coolant contracts and should back flow back into the radiator due to the system falling below atmospheric pressure. If it doesn't flow back into the radiator for whatever reason, then the overflow stays full. If the overflow stays full, the level in your rad should drop when cold.

Now why it's busting radiators, well I wouldn't blame three busted radiators on them being cheap. Obviously there is an issue. With system cold, take off the rad cap and start the vehicle. Does the coolant move? It wouldn't hurt to pressure test the system. Also you can use a block tester to test the HG. Both these items can be rented for free from the auto parts stores (once you return them), so you've got nothing to lose in trying them.

I got you beat on mileage
The idea is, to watch the pressure gauge, and see what happens. I would like to think folks have the presence of mind to discontinue the test if pressure starts going to high. (over 18 pounds...) Also, it is the RATE at which pressure builds may tell an interesting story. If pressure jumps right away, before the coolant even starts getting warm.... well, ya know there is an issue.

Old 11-26-2021, 09:46 AM
PlayingDirty03Ram69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAGNOOM!!! THANKS SOOOO MUCH!! That's what I thought it needed. Before the mod radiator there was a rad cap bc there wasn't a 2nd rad cap place. Your pic is how my jeep is setup. Thanks soo much again!!

Old 11-28-2021, 11:37 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Let me predict the future...

"So i've gone through five upper radiator hoses in the last 6 months, any ideas?"

Quick Reply: Upgraded radiator and setup and now it's backflowing into the resi!