3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Axle Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 04:24 PM
BClark_35
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Axle Seal Leak

I have a second gen ram that I swapped a 3rd gen chrysler 9.25 in to. The axle js an open dif from a 2008. Or at least I think it's an open dif. Anyway, where is the axle seal located om the driver side? Is it easy to get to if you get the axle out or is it deep in by the gears? I saw a video on a second gen 9.25 but wasn't sure if its in the same area. Thanks for any information

Old 12-03-2021, 09:29 AM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by BClark_35
I have a second gen ram that I swapped a 3rd gen chrysler 9.25 in to. The axle js an open dif from a 2008. Or at least I think it's an open dif. Anyway, where is the axle seal located om the driver side? Is it easy to get to if you get the axle out or is it deep in by the gears? I saw a video on a second gen 9.25 but wasn't sure if its in the same area. Thanks for any information
anyone got a part number for the seal? Anything?

Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,274 Likes on 3,021 Posts

Axle seals should be on the outboard end of the axles. That means ya gotta pull 'em to change the seals. I don't recall if the bearings are pressed onto the axle on the 9.25..... You'll find out when you pull the axle.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:16 AM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Axle seals should be on the outboard end of the axles. That means ya gotta pull 'em to change the seals. I don't recall if the bearings are pressed onto the axle on the 9.25..... You'll find out when you pull the axle.
From what I've seen it's in an easy spot. Far easier then the front axle seal that almost made me lose my mind 😁 I don't have to touch the bearing to do the seal correct?

Old 12-03-2021, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by BClark_35
From what I've seen it's in an easy spot. Far easier then the front axle seal that almost made me lose my mind 😁 I don't have to touch the bearing to do the seal correct?
If the axle just pulls right out, and the bearing stays in the housing, then yeah. Quick and easy, yank the old seal, install the new one.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:50 AM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the axle just pulls right out, and the bearing stays in the housing, then yeah. Quick and easy, yank the old seal, install the new one.
Well we can hope it will be easy. But knowing my history... it won't be. This is the 3rd axle seal that's gone bad on me in 3 months. Not to mention about 3 other oil leaks that I have. Almost embarrassing to park in someone's driveway

Old 12-03-2021, 11:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I might be tempted to replace the bearing on that side as well then. Go after the axle with some emery cloth on the sealing surface, and make sure you get the seal, and axle, pretty wet with lube when you install the new seal. Also make sure your fluid level is up to snuff before you drive it.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Seal Leak