3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant leak from rear of engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 11:43 AM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant leak from rear of engine

Hi,
I have a 2007, 5.7L, 1500 Ram with 150K miles.
I've started noticing a coolant puddle under the truck, from the rear of the engine. Figured it was the heater hoses on the fire wall. I took a close look there and the hoses are not leaking.
The coolant is drippings from the bellhousing. I can not see a trail of it coming from the top and collecting at the bellhousing. It appears to be from in-between the engine and transmission.
Is this likely a core plug or the head gasket? Anything else back there that I need to check?
There is no coolant in the oil, just did an oil change a few weeks ago and the oil looked fine. Truck runs great, not other issues with engine performance.

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:07 PM
Junkyard Junkie
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found it.
I decided to look in the front of the engine also and there it is. It's from the thermostat or the water pump. At least I know where to start.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak from rear of engine