3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 1500 Hemi stalls a mile down after filling up gas and making a turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 10:10 PM
ADODGERAM1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 1500 Hemi stalls a mile down after filling up gas and making a turn

Hello everyone,
First time posting and saw a few similar issues and wanted to see if you guys can help me. I have a 2008 ram 1500 5.7l and recently had an issue where i filled up gas and drove it about a mile later i made a left turn and the truck lost all power and turned off. I filled up til it clicked no over filling. Truck has 127k miles. I figured its Evap issue maybe fuel overflow possible issues bad charcoal canister, purge solenoid, fuel pump. My egr valve is new and I changed the purge solenoid for about $30. I filled up 3/4 gas and it didnt stall the following week.
I took it to the dealer and had it diagnosed, after 4 days they said "they removed hose from fuel tank to canister and found fuel in the canister, fuel tank valve stays open, need to replace fuel tank and canister. " they wanted $2,800.
he said we didnt drop the tank but its a common problem and thats the resolution. He said its the rollover valve and it has to be changed and since its made to not be removed entire tank needs to be changed. I get that part since its meant to be like that from manufacturer.

Now does anyone know what it could be for sure? Would replacing the canister make a difference? If the rollover valve is stuck open then it would just do the same thing to a new canister. The rollover valve stays open and it's a safety mechanism so if i rollover the truck, the fuel gets cut off. I'm assuming when i made that left turn, it probably stuck and cut off the fuel resulting in a stall.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2022, 11:21 AM
freeze007
Default Stalled after crossing train tracks.

My 2008 dodge ram stalled after crossing train tracks, I cross these tracks before plenty of time and it never happens. Why now.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:59 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by ADODGERAM1500
He said its the rollover valve and it has to be changed and since its made to not be removed entire tank needs to be changed. I get that part since its meant to be like that from manufacturer.
Looks like the rollover valve is replaceable. You could even get a junkyard tank for much much cheaper. Links are examples of rollover valves being available. You have to make sure you find one that fits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37128503073...BoCZ1IQAvD_BwE

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/New...hoCgxoQAvD_BwE

Old 06-23-2023, 05:17 PM
ADODGERAM1500
Default Continuing 08 dodge ram 1500 stalled check gauges

so i changed the fuel pump and all was well but now at 132k miles my truck stalled on the freeway. I filled up full tank and drove 50 miles and it stalled saying check gauges. I dont think its the rollover valve in this case, but the rollover valve isnt detachable so whole tank needs replacing. Possible things to replace charcoal cannister, vapor cannister filter, and oil pressure sensor and maybe purge valve solenoid.

More on the issue. I was going straight and it just stalled and check gauges showed up. No power no steering or brakes. I pulled to the side and it wouldnt start. I got towed home and after it started right up.

Quick Reply: 08 1500 Hemi stalls a mile down after filling up gas and making a turn