3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Limp-in mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 01:22 AM
Corey Slone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp-in mode

So I have been having issues with my 04 ram 1500 5.7 with the 545rfe. I've been having electrical issues due to putting the wrong harness in and I eventually found an identical truck which had the correct wire harness I needed for mine so I just bought the truck and I took all the electronics from it and put it in mine. Also was having issues before that with my pcm I had ordered from flagship one. Doing the swap fixed some of the issues that I was having like the incorrect gear ratios but now I have a p0869 line pressure high fault I believe it is. Also having p0633 skim secret key code not stored in PCM. I don't have the skim module as I have the black key for my truck. Although I'm not 100% that I understand the whole skim thing I don't know if that's an issue from not switching the ignition cylinder and key over with everything else or what, I don't see how if it's the black key and isn't chipped or whatever. I have a Thinkdiag scan tool and when I first started it after I got it all together I tried to do the transmission relearn and it said there was a tcm fault which is the line pressure high fault so it won't let me complete the relearn. Then it says Trans is in Limp-in mode. After research and checking what I could I found that the transmission relay doesn't have an affect on the transmission whether it's in or out of the fuse box. I'm not sure what to do next and I can't get it to the mechanic for another 2 weeks because every shop is booked for 2 weeks. I have the donor truck which has a good transmission and I'm about to just try to swap them hoping for the best but it's a lot of work especially for someone who has never done it before. I have changed the filters and fluid and the fluid seemed to be normal as in color and not any metal pieces like I thought there might be. My friend who knows quite a bit says he thinks it's my torque converter. He's been the one that has really helped me learn most of what I know since working on my truck and is usually right about diagnosing these things but I am actually hoping it's something I'm missing or haven't come across yet. So if anyone could give any ideas on what to try or test before I do this tyranny swap then you'd be saving me some possible pointless work if the swap won't change anything.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2022, 11:48 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

If you took the PCM from the donor truck and didn't install it's associated SKIM, it's gonna throw a code at best and if you try too many times to run it it'll lock the PCM.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:32 PM
Corey Slone
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the issue. The donor truck is also non skim with black key. I don't understand where the code came from. And I put in the instrument cluster, Amp, hvav, and overhead console so everything is matching besides the abs and airbag module but I did a vin write and it shows the new vin. The codes for the skim issues are what I stated above and also vehicle lost communication with the security module I also just bypassed the transmission relay and np longer get the line pressure code and it's still in limp mode. But the truck will start and drive. Itt just doesn't move unless I hit the gas first. And thay makes me think it is still the torque converter but will them skim codes go away if I buy a skim module and a set of keys for it and if so can I just buy blank keys and have them cut to match my black one and just install the module and program or is that not right?

Quick Reply: Limp-in mode