3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Learned something yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 09:31 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Learned something yesterday...

I hadn't noticed this before, but the standard cab doors were changed in 2004. I grabbed a pair of very nice, no rust, doors from a 2002, for my 2004 project. I didn't notice until I got home that the 2002/03 design where the glass meets the door in the rear lower area is curved. 2004 design is at 90 degrees - no curve. I'm going to have to figure out if there are any other changes other than exterior window trim - anyone know the details?

My plan was to prep these donor doors for my power window conversion project, including paint and custom wiring - allowing me to use the truck while I do that and just swap the doors when done... but now I'm kinda on the fence. The original 04 doors are pretty much rust free, but my kid dented the passenger door pretty good and that'll take a bit to work it out smooth again. I'm a little neurotic about doing metal work, so I could see me spending many hours on that dent - where the 2002 doors would be nothing but some dings to work out.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:26 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

I've learned lots of stuff. Like don't fry bacon in the nude. Toasters are orange inside for a reason so don't reach in with your fingers. Never lick a steak knife.

Seriously though, was the door opening changed? Will the entire door assembly swap over okay? If the door was changed but the cab wasn't, they may fit anyway.

Old 04-03-2022, 11:48 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I've learned lots of stuff. Like don't fry bacon in the nude. Toasters are orange inside for a reason so don't reach in with your fingers. Never lick a steak knife.

Seriously though, was the door opening changed? Will the entire door assembly swap over okay? If the door was changed but the cab wasn't, they may fit anyway.
[frying bacon] Ugh...Now you've put an image in my head that only a highly paid therapist will be able to help me cope with !

I think the shell will bolt on and fit the cab w/o problem. Won't be able to use my outside window trim, as I pointed out. I'm thinking the inner door panel should fit w/o issue, and I'm *assuming* the glass and window regulator isn't any different... but I could be wrong there. I was already going to customize the wiring harness, so no problem with that.

These donor doors do have the glass and power regulators in the door, but don't know about condition as they were both windows were in the down position and not test-able since its was in the jyard. At the time I didn't care, just wanted easy to prep and paint shells... The doors are so heavy and awkward, I'm not looking forward to messing with them fully loaded, I'll get to it later this week when it warms up again.

Good thing I decided to grab both, I almost just grabbed one... having mismatched doors wouldn't be an option for me.

Last edited by fj5gtx; 04-03-2022 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:52 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

2002 1500's are such odd ducks.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:43 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
2002 1500's are such odd ducks.

You got that right. I had one. That's why I'm staying with the older stuff.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:52 PM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not 100% sure, bet I do believe they will work. Now that being said the only real way to know for sure is to do a test fit and see if they work.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:53 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Weird, must be a standard cab thing, my 02 is 90* and so isn’t my 03 parts truck….both quad cabs

Quick Reply: Learned something yesterday...