3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022 | 12:46 PM
gmoney32
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Harness

Will try to keep this short but as detailed as possible...

Check engine light was on and the code came up for the crankshaft. Replaced both the Crank and Camshaft sensor, cleared the codes and the truck drove fine for a week then came back on. After which I had the same parts replaced as I suspected they were faulty. This was not the case and was told that it may be that the car is older but the parts are newer and the software needs to be updated. Took to the dealership hoping this would be the simple fix. Unfortunately, that did not work so the mechanics checked the wires that they were able to reach. They could not find an issues, so he explained it is internal and the whole wiring harness would need to be replaced....problem is the part is discontinued! I have been trying to find it on an outside source but have not had any luck. I am lookin for any suggestion on the matter and if anyone has dealt with this issue. Love my truck and it runs well but I don't want to keep putting money into the truck for it to not be fixed.

Old 04-26-2022 | 05:04 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 232 Likes on 212 Posts

Why did you post this twice in two different places?

The following users liked this post:
gmoney32 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-26-2022 | 06:02 PM
gmoney32
|

I didn't realize the other post went through seeing as it doesn't show up and I can't find it. Sorry that it bothered you so much that you felt the need to comment.

Old 04-26-2022 | 09:05 PM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 232 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by gmoney32
I didn't realize the other post went through seeing as it doesn't show up and I can't find it. Sorry that it bothered you so much that you felt the need to comment.
I'm sorry you couldn't figure out how to work a simple internet forum lol (by design, internet forums are meant to be commented in.....sorry you didn't know that). I would've been sorry that you were just throwing parts at your truck instead of getting it diagnosed properly lol. I'm almost sorry you are wholesale screwed except for used harnesses from wrecked trucks or paying ALOT of money to build a custom one that would interface properly with the rest of the truck. Good luck hahahahahaha.

The following users liked this post:
gmoney32 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022 | 04:28 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I pretty much always go to the junk yards for parts that are dealer only. But you should be able to test the harness with a multimeter to figure out which wire(s) are compromised, and splice in good wire taped to the outside of the loom. Maybe find a independent mechanic to do that for you, if you can. Most shops are so busy they have enough easy work to do and don't want to take on anything that isn't straightforward. If you are unable/unwilling to do the work yourself, you might be better off selling the truck to someone who can do the work themselves - and getting something newer that is still supported.

The following 2 users liked this post by fj5gtx:
gmoney32 (04-27-2022), Magnoom (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022 | 02:03 PM
gmoney32
|

Thanks bud!

Old 04-27-2022 | 02:09 PM
gmoney32
|

Appreciate the reply. I have been looking into junk yards and speaking with other mechanics I know about the situation. I am hoping it is a simple as testing the harness wires then splicing in a good wire will fix it. If not I will probably have to go the route of selling.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness