3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Valve Cover Studs

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 02:19 AM
THRobinson
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve Cover Studs

Looking to put new grounding straps on my Hemi, since all that's left of the old ones are about 1/2" nubs. Hoping fixes a weird computer issue.

The valve cover studs are very old and very rusty and I am very worried will break. Ideally since the tops are threaded I'd like to put the grounding wire there and just add a nut but not sure if thread good enough to use, and if too rusty to ground properly.

I researched and I think I need MOPAR 6507366AA for the stud/grommet but wow! After shipping it's about $40-50CAD per stud. I've seen a few aftermarket, ARP makes one for example that looks like bolts with undersized washers. Off chance I need to replace a bolt on either side, does anyone know what I need? I'm not sure if in '03 it would have been imperial or metric, or length needed etc.

Does anyone know what the threaded tops are on the stock bolts?

I mostly do wood work, so, I have nails and glue... not a lot of extra bolts/nuts so would need to grab some at the hardware store but I don't have anything to measure what's there with (thread wise).

Old 07-09-2022, 07:50 AM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Go to a hardware store that sells nuts/bolts by the pound. Then just take a nut with you and you can determine diameter and pitch thread.

Old 07-09-2022, 03:56 PM
THRobinson
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to remove the bolt unless I have to in case it messes up the seal on the valve cover.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:54 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 385 Likes on 346 Posts

If it's a problem, ground the engine elsewhere. Doesn't have to be on the valve cover studs.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Studs