3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rods ,,,tanged or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 01:34 AM
Billsram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rods ,,,tanged or not?

Hey folks,im working on my 04 4.7l a valve seat broke in half and wasnt kind to the insides of the motor.new heads,rebuilt crank ,new chains and gears,new pistons and rods which brings me to my question-the new rods are just like the old rods they have the notch for the bearing tang. The new bearings that came with the rods dont have that tang to locate them. Are both types of bearings interchangeable? What would hold the un-tanged bearing in place?i have them in the rods now ,all tightened down all the clearances are good motor spins over by hand smoothly.before i button the motor up i thought i should ask the question just in case.can anyone speak on this? Id sure be thankful to anyone that would enlighten me thanks fellas and ..... gals .i dont want overlook the best part of this world .....

Old 10-01-2022, 06:47 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

I've never installed a rod bearing without a tang (aka locating tab). I have heard that both are acceptable, and even interchangeable. The bearings without locating tabs are designed to be held in place by bearing cap torque. I've also heard that bearings without locating tabs run cooler.
I know this isn't much help, hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

Might want include where you got the rods, Factory or aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Rods ,,,tanged or not?