3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

got the CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006 | 05:10 PM
tamuccmike
|
Veteran
Default got the CAI

I finally got my k&n cai...for all the guys who said i wouldnt be able to tell a difference....WRONG...it really picked up the torque and hp...the truck accelerates better and it now peels rubber in 2nd (after take-off instead of just when taking off) for anyone who is curious about getting one...get a cai...and with the resonator off it sounds bad *** after 3000rpm....awesome product!

Old 01-03-2006 | 06:00 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran
Default RE: got the CAI

good for you bro! lol

but...your truck can chirp going into 2nd gear??? please explain how an automatic 5000lb truck with 30" tall tires peels rubber in 2nd??

BTW...sorry to burst your bubble but its mostly in your head man.....CAI will only add maybe 5-7hp tops so you really wouldnt notice it too much. +a cold air intake only benefits you in the midrange to top end...its takes away low end torque compared to the stock air box.

when i added my Mopar CAI...i noticed a nice rumble and a little better up top accel....but nothing from the bottom end.

I have to mash the throttle in my fathers m3 and shift hard to get that to chirp 2nd a good amount...thats no truck tho.

Old 01-05-2006 | 02:35 AM
itaintachev
Professional

There are severl styles and models which one did you get??

Try to drive like your saving gas and see what you get with it? I am wondering if you drive nice it actually helps mpg..

Old 01-05-2006 | 03:46 AM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

not gonna help mpg....NOTHING helps mpg on these trucks....its all in everyones head.

Old 01-07-2006 | 05:47 PM
tamuccmike
|
Veteran

no actually it's not all in my head, man...it gets rubber in 2nd...you can say its a 5000 lbs truck...but im telling you it does...i can tell a big difference, even if it is only the 5-7 hp you say it is, that's a big difference, man.... much love!

Old 01-07-2006 | 05:54 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio

ORIGINAL: 05ramlaramie

good for you bro! lol

but...your truck can chirp going into 2nd gear??? please explain how an automatic 5000lb truck with 30" tall tires peels rubber in 2nd??

BTW...sorry to burst your bubble but its mostly in your head man.....CAI will only add maybe 5-7hp tops so you really wouldnt notice it too much. +a cold air intake only benefits you in the midrange to top end...its takes away low end torque compared to the stock air box.

when i added my Mopar CAI...i noticed a nice rumble and a little better up top accel....but nothing from the bottom end.

I have to mash the throttle in my fathers m3 and shift hard to get that to chirp 2nd a good amount...thats no truck tho.
I agree, unless you have done some mods to the tranny and shift points this is no rubber noises while accelerating and going into 2nd. HP and more importantly torque are not the only factors. Our trucks do not shift hard/fast enough.

Old 01-08-2006 | 02:00 PM
Hemi Dave
Professional

I have the Mopar CAI on my 05,QC,4X4 and I can't say I feel anything either but it's does make a cool droaning noise. I personally think to make one of these thiings really go a supercharger is needed, but I can't see spending $5000 for my street truck that I drive about once a month. I seem to have have enough power to get around the Chevy's and most of the Fords but becareful with the old Lightnings they'll really hurt your feelings.
ORIGINAL: tamuccmike

no actually it's not all in my head, man...it gets rubber in 2nd...you can say its a 5000 lbs truck...but im telling you it does...i can tell a big difference, even if it is only the 5-7 hp you say it is, that's a big difference, man.... much love!

Old 01-08-2006 | 07:03 PM
05_black_beast
Professional

The stock rubber is girly...I can picture a little wheelspin on a 2-1 kickdown on stock rubber. My heavy *** QC would start to slip the tires a bit even w/ my 33" Nittos after the CAI and catback install.

Edit - It may have done that before the install, but I never really paid attention.

Old 01-08-2006 | 09:17 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

yea...it can probably chirp on a 2-1 kickdown....BUT how could it on a 1-2 upshift??? girly tires or not....these things shift way too slow and with the torque managment...how could you chirp 2nd??

i dunno...maybe he is....

but 94rt and I dont think so.

like i mentioned....when my cobra was stock and my fathers M3....I needed to shift hard at 6k rpms to break the rears loose a good amount.

the way these trucks shift.....i dont think so.

Old 01-09-2006 | 12:17 AM
05_black_beast
Professional

I don't think he mentioned anything about it happening on the upshift...Just matting it in 2nd, which would lead to a kickdown. Thats just how I took it. And yea, I agree it won't happen ON the upshift unless modifications have been made w/ torque management or shift speed.