3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LT Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:02 PM
dhayes3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT Tire Pressure

I have an '04 Ram 1500, 4X4, Hemi, Off-Road model with 17" wheels. The tires are LTs, load range C, max. pressure is 50. The tires are better for towing, more stable, less sidewall flex, etc. My question is, how much pressure should I be running in the tires under normal driving conditions and also when towing?

My door sticker on the truck (even though it came with LTs) lists a "P" (passenger) tire with an air pressure of 35. Given that I have the Off-Road model truck with LT tires, is the door sticker a mistake, or even with the LT load range C tires (with a higher maximum pressure than a P tire), is the sticker on the door denoting a P tire simply a mistake?

Or should I still run the LTs with only 35 pounds of pressure (as is the case for a P tire on the door sticker) under nornal driving conditions?

Thanks.

DH

Old 01-04-2006, 02:41 AM
DonG
Veteran
Default RE: LT Tire Pressure

I would run 35. The pressure listed on the sidewall has nothing to do with the pressure that's appropriate for your truck. That's just the max safe pressure for the tire.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 PM
lucky13rme
Rookie

Check in your owners manual, mine came with a tire pressures pamplet for all the possible truck configurations, dakota, durango, 1500-3500, 4x4 etc. It even recommends diffrent prssures for different uses.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:00 PM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

For Sure.... Refer to the manual. I run a lot of gravel roads, so I adjust accordingly with a little lower pressure and normally but do run 2-4 pounds more in the front tires compared to the rear with normal driving. When I got a load, then I make proper adjustments. When I make a trip on the highway, I increase the pressure a touch all around, but always stay close to the recommendations in the manual with paying attention to on tire recommendations like mentioned in previous threads depending on how I am driving the pickup. Bottom line, follow recommendations for applications and get help from your tire guy if you want.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:36 AM
NaviDave

Yes - always read the manual - the Ford Explorer manual said 26lbs..worked out well.

Believe the tire manufacturer. Tires tend to lose air - and an LT tire at <35lbs feels like you have sandbags attached to the rims.

I put on Wrangler Silent Armor LT275/70R17's - I increased the inflation to 46-48lbs. The ride is decent - and the load handling is excellent. MPG is reasonably close to the 20's I sold.

The wheel hop is not bad - certainly much less than the 20's @ 38psi.

If this is a concern - switch out to Bilstein shocks at your earliest opportunity - problem will be solved.

Dave

Old 01-06-2006, 09:15 AM
GIRam
Rookie

the correct tire pressure for the stock tire size is on the door sticker. 35 lbs cold for a normal load. The max on the tire is for the tire load rating, not the truck. The LT tire has stiffer sidewalls that make it feel like a harder ride than a P(metric) rated tire. that is the tradeoff with a LT tire. run the stock air pressure or your gas mileage will suffer. Il you let out 1lb it might help soften your ride.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:05 AM
2005 GTX #152

what is correct tire pressure for an 05 Ram 1500 GTX? Tires seem low 25PSI. Sticker has info for stock setup, does not say anything about the 20 inch tires that came with it. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:46 AM
schmedly
Rookie

The 35 psi on the door sticker reflects the ride quality that the manufacturer wants to market. A softer ride is more popular, but not necessarily best. You will get better milege with higher pressures and, usually more even tire wear. My LT tires were always inflated 45-48 psi.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never, Ever run P rated tires on a Truck, Ford's standard tire on a the 04+ F-150 is a 2 ply 23570 17 Hancook tire, If you ever worried abought ride and handeling, never run a P rated tire on any truck.

Load range c is best for all light duty applications, 35 PSI unloaded, Running more PSI when empty will only wear down your tires and increase axle hop. 40 to 45 PSI work great when hualing over 500 Lbs or when you see the side walls began to flex.

I'm not at Fan of the 20 inch rims and tires on the Ram, thier not intended for off road use or for towing or hauling, all they are is a nice dress up package for the streat.

I have never ever purchassed a truck for passenger car use, I use my Ram as a truck and if you will never go wrong running a 10 ply E tire on a 1/2 ton, it's cheaper than addingleaf springs and will increasethe amount of LBs you can safely haul.

Forthe average 1/2 ton, C range is basicly all you need, for the 3/4 and one ton, E or 10 ply is the only rated tire you should use..

Old 01-23-2007, 03:10 AM
reindeerman
Rookie

I have stock size “E” rated LT tires on my 02 1500 4X4. I bought these because of towing. They have a max air pressure of 80lbs. (yes that is correct & yes the sidewalls are very stiff) I run 45-50lbs when towing loaded. Regular stuff about 38 lbs. I didn’t get that extra tire brochure with the owners manual because I bought my truck used, would like to see one though.

“P” tires will work if you are just cruising, but if you actually work your truck you will be better off with the LT’s.

Quick Reply: LT Tire Pressure