3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First time Ram owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 08:50 PM
Catalystgd
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr_Fix_It1981
The tranny seems really smooth right now. I'll be servicing it soon to gauge it further. She will have a easy life with me. Less then 50 miles a week and the occasional trailer to the dump will be the hardest it'll be pushed. Thanks for the insight on the intake and exhaust.
You should be alright but be cautious. i have an 05 1500 with a 4.7 v8 and the 545rfe. it drove smooth as can be with 221k on the clock. I then decided to be nice to it and change the fluid and filter. After that fluid and filter change it would slip during each gear change or driving uphill. Ended up rebuilding the whole trans and replacing the torque converter. Went with aftermarket clutches, a billet converter and a good shift kit. Runs as smooth as the day it rolled off the lot now. My point being, if it's never been changed in its live I'd be hesitant but with 130k like you said you should be in the clear.

Old 04-15-2023, 04:40 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional

Originally Posted by Catalystgd
You should be alright but be cautious. i have an 05 1500 with a 4.7 v8 and the 545rfe. it drove smooth as can be with 221k on the clock. I then decided to be nice to it and change the fluid and filter. After that fluid and filter change it would slip during each gear change or driving uphill. Ended up rebuilding the whole trans and replacing the torque converter. Went with aftermarket clutches, a billet converter and a good shift kit. Runs as smooth as the day it rolled off the lot now. My point being, if it's never been changed in its live I'd be hesitant but with 130k like you said you should be in the clear.
let me guess, you used an aftermarket filter? Happened to me where it slipped after a fluid change. I read to use oem filters only. I put oem ones in and it has never shifted better and that was 25,000 miles ago

Old 04-15-2023, 04:43 PM
Catalystgd

Originally Posted by RPMRamFury
let me guess, you used an aftermarket filter? Happened to me where it slipped after a fluid change. I read to use oem filters only. I put oem ones in and it has never shifted better and that was 25,000 miles ago
You would be correct. i didnt know that could cause issues! my trans was wrecked by the time i figured it out though. converter metal everywhere. total rebuild lol

Old 04-15-2023, 06:21 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the Dodge family. You ill be both hated and loved !!!

Quick Reply: First time Ram owner