3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SKIM delete/PCM/ Keys... Truck won't run

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 06:50 PM
Major Problems
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SKIM delete/PCM/ Keys... Truck won't run

First of all, thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer me as I am at a complete loss as to what to do on my own. I will be as detailed as possible:

After hearing my OEM alarm go off and catching the idiots attempting to steal my truck, a well cared for 03 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 with the 5.9l Cummins with a hair over 200k on it's clocks and no mods at all, and running them off the only thing that appeared damaged was the SKIM reader which had it's antenna broken off. However the truck would not stay running when I attempted to start it. I had it towed to a shop nearby which I also used a couple of years ago when I had my stolen Ford recovered and needed it inspected. I sent the truck with my backup NON_CHIP key in the ignition on the tow truck as for whatever reason I misplaced my keys in the brew hub figuring they would turn up at some point in the next day or so.

The shop ended up replacing the steering column, key tumbler, SKIM reader and covers ans since I seemed to have lost my keys I needed to get a locksmith to cut some new ones which I did and he programed them to be read by the SKIM reader, however he was UNABLE to get the new SKIM Reader to talk to the trucks PCM so still no run. It would start but die after a couple seconds. I got another guy the shop recommended to me to try to get the two devices to talk and he failed and could not tell me why but said he had about a 25 percent success rate on these trucks. After reading much and attempting to reset the anti-theft system in every one of the seemingly 100 different DIY fixes the internet provides us I figured the only thing to do is get the PCM re-flashed to delete the SKIM so I found an outfit in South Carolina that could do it for $600 so I paid it and sent the PCM off to get "fixed" and yet after having it for over 2 weeks it's arrived and there is no tangible change to the truck behavior. It starts, runs for 2 seconds and dies. I followed the PCM replacement instructions to the T and did not have the new SKIM reader even installed in the truck when attempting to start it after installing the new PCM. I was told it would start with any of the ignition keys, chipped or not. Do I still need to reset the anti-theft? If so, how? If not what am I missing? At this point I'm thinking that Dodge has made it so difficult to recover from what appears to be a simple repair that the truck is completely useless and don't even make the parts needed to fix it anymore. I mean why make these trucks have the ability to run for hundreds of thousands of miles if they aren't going to support the owners by making EOM parts for their repair? Very frustrating to put it mildly. Oh and I found the my keys in the glove box. Please ask any questions you might have! Thanks!

Old 04-16-2023, 03:26 AM
Major Problems
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's looking like this this is not the forum I was told it was. Thanks anyway

Old 04-16-2023, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I would wonder if the SKIM/Anti-theft system wasn't really the problem...... Does the security light in the dash come on still?

Depending on the company you sent your PCM to, they may have charged you, and then not done ANYTHING to your PCM...... Some of those guys really don't have a good reputation.......

Old 04-16-2023, 08:48 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I think I'd try to get another used pcm. Back when I replaced the one in my 04 1500 (it was persistently showing an o2 code), I bought a used one from ebay. It'd start but die immediately. Seller sent me another, that one worked. I had to have the dealer program my VIN so I could pass inspection. To get the right one, you need to match the part number that is on the sticker on the pcm.

Other option would be to find a good Dodge dealer that has some techs that have been around for while, they may be able to reprogram what you have so that the truck is usable.

The predicament is that the industry isn't focused on servicing 20 year old vehicles. Auto manufacturers are in the business of selling new products, and have no focus on products that are obsolete. Be glad you can source factory service manuals, there are other industries that have consumers fighting for right of repair.

As far as the forum goes, the 2nd gen is much more active than the 3rd gen. Not sure why, but it just is.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:34 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 231 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Major Problems
It's looking like this this is not the forum I was told it was. Thanks anyway
This isn't facebook, people have lives, which doesn't always involve looking at a forum daily to help you solve your particular self induced problem.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:26 AM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnoom
This isn't facebook, people have lives, which doesn't always involve looking at a forum daily to help you solve your particular self induced problem.
Ditto. I think OP is also forgetting that these trucks are 20 years old in some cases, so there's not nearly as many left out there...

Quick Reply: SKIM delete/PCM/ Keys... Truck won't run