3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023 | 08:29 PM
Done333
|
Default Need help!!!

03 ram 1500 3.7 2x4 manual transmission I do not have continuity between 87 and fuse. I do not have voltage at pin 85 with key on. And I do not have continuity to ground at pin 86. What should I do? I have already replaced ignition, cam and crank sensor, fuel pump, ran new power wire to fuel pump and to ignition switch from IPM. I have a ticking sound coming from dash with key off. Fuel gauge says empty. My cheap scanner no longer recognizes my truck at data link. Fuel pump does not prime

Old 02-14-2023 | 09:40 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Would be nice to have a little more information what issue your having here, what are we diagnosing, what relay, what symptom. Based on this information I would lean towards an IPM issue and it would need to be rebuilt.

Old 02-15-2023 | 06:08 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Done333
03 ram 1500 3.7 2x4 manual transmission I do not have continuity between 87 and fuse. I do not have voltage at pin 85 with key on. And I do not have continuity to ground at pin 86. What should I do? I have already replaced ignition, cam and crank sensor, fuel pump, ran new power wire to fuel pump and to ignition switch from IPM. I have a ticking sound coming from dash with key off. Fuel gauge says empty. My cheap scanner no longer recognizes my truck at data link. Fuel pump does not prime
I'm confused. On this ilnk
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ml#post3560631
you say you DO have continuity between 87 and the fuse.

Impossible to get a sense of what is going on when these details are misreported.

Old 02-15-2023 | 06:29 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Would be nice to have a little more information what issue your having here, what are we diagnosing, what relay, what symptom. Based on this information I would lean towards an IPM issue and it would need to be rebuilt.
He has created 5 separate threads on this problem, making its very hard to follow unless you invest time in reading all of the threads. He is working on a 2003 Ram 3.7 with standard trans.

I'll put a little effort into making this an easier read:

1/1/2023 First thread, one post, one reply then end of thread. Classic parts cannon approach, that wastes his $ and doesn't address his problem.
The first thing that happened was my brake light came on . I topped off the fluid and it went off. Over the next week and a half it would come on and go off increasing in frequency and in how long it stayed on until remaining on permanently. Next the truck shut off while driving with no warning. It would crank right back up but if I let off gas it would die. By the time I got home it would no longer crank. I have replaced the fuel pump, cam sensor, crank sensor, spark plugs, fuel pump relay, ignition switch, ran a new power wire to the fuel pump. I am getting 12 v at fuel pump relay. But when the key is in on position there is a continuous ticking at the tipm and the fuel pump never kicks on.

1/12/2023 second thread, picture of corroded trace on the IPM circuit board... He is onto something actually broken here, so he has made some problem solving progress

1/25/2023 Third thread, starts with a summary... He mis-states that he found a short in the IPM, when its actually an open caused by corrosion.
For the sake of brevity I am going to simply list pertinent facts.
1. ABS warning lights up on dash2. Added brake fluid. Light off3. Light back on. On and off periodically for next few days4. Truck jerks hard like I dumped clutch while driving, cuts off, cranks right back up,
5. Truck shuts off, cranks back up, multiple times on my way home. Increasing in frequency. All of this from 4 on is in the same drive home.
6. Gas gauge says tank empty. Tank half full7. A mile from home truck begins to back fire violently, continues shutting off, I manage to get it home. Hasn't run since8. I replaced fuel pump, pump relay, ASD relay, crank sensor, cam sensor, ignition, plugs,
9. I removed the IPM , took apart, cleaned it, noticed a small short area on PCB, soldered jumper10. I have power coming at fuel pump fuse, power at constant pin of relay, power at switch pin on relay with key on, but I was not getting power at pump.
11. Ran a separate power and ground too pump, pump runs truck still will not crank.
12. My OBD2 scanner does won't read my truck now where it would before.
Can someone please help me here. I don't know what to do

2/12/2023 Thread asking details about the fuel pump relay contacts and function inside the IPM

2/14/2023 The thread we are on now.

Last edited by fj5gtx; 02-15-2023 at 06:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dodgetruck2 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023 | 10:04 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Well thanks for that leg work anyway, I still stand with my initial diagnosis the IPM needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I guess I haven't been inside one, I think its a little less sensitive then a TIPM from the 06+ era but still not something I would feel comfortable poking around with a soldering iron. It may not resolved the issue but if were loading the parts cannon anyway I'd say its the best first shot.

I had to replace the FCM on an 04 I had and I just ordered the matching part# and it was plug n play no programing, can the IPM also be replaced this way? Just find a junkyard match?

Lack of diagnostic connection is two things, the power/ground to the port could be dead and/or the computer isn't powering up, return to IPM issue.

You have replaced the ASD relay which would've been one suggestion I had

Is there power/connection at the starter relay?

Old 02-15-2023 | 01:49 PM
Done333
|

The issue was initially that the truck shut off mid drive. Fuel pump was no longer working . I replaced fuel pump , f.p. sensor, crank and cam sensor, ignition, re wired fuel pump, re wired ignition

Old 02-15-2023 | 06:24 PM
racerxv6
Veteran

What's the IPM. Ignition something module

Old 02-15-2023 | 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Integrated Power Module. The fuse box under the hood.

Quick Reply: Need help!!!