3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad fuel, rough idle, better scanner? Idk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 07:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Sounds like a good idea to me.....

Old 03-18-2023, 12:14 PM
Trojanman4881 02 4.7 Ram Qcab 45RFE's Avatar
Trojanman4881 02 4.7 Ram Qcab 45RFE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been testing and driving last couple weeks. Ordered a new ignition switch and key lock cylinder. Noticed a couple toasted pins in old one, replaced with aftermarket, new. Struggled with rekeying lock cylinder, didn't work, original key got stuck, took over an hour to get apart, cleaned and reinstalled original cylinder. Noticed several cut and not connected wires in the harness from the aftermarket alarm install. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Reassembled and started. Seems to run and idle great with copper plugs. Using 1/4 tank of fuel for 30-40 miles. Odd.
Now have "key ding" sound the entire time driver door is open at all, when not running. Door lock button won't let me lock doors unless ignition on. Think it might be consequence of hack alarm install. Never had this in previous 7 years, might be why original switch had burn marks, or different shorts caused somewhere.

Still going to keep testing fuel system. Retest pump. Diagnose wiring quirks. Pull plugs and reexamine all of those connections. Before I buy any more parts.
Finding myself in an ever deepening mystery. 😅🤷🏻‍♂️
Glad some things are working better.

Old 03-18-2023, 12:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

On mine, the gas gauge is NOT linear. As it gets closer to the bottom end of the scale, it goes down faster. A trip to work and back, about 15 miles, drops the gauge an eighth of a tank.... when the low fuel light comes on, (gauge indicates 1/8th of a tank) there is still 8 gallons in there. (34 gallon tank.) Of course, I am getting less than 10mpg at this point..... I suspect it is time for new O2 sensors. That's for the next trip to the shop... but first, need to find something for the wife to drive. The van died, and finding a replacement has proven difficult at best. Very little on craigslist, and the folks on facebook marketplace really don't seem to be interested in actually SELLING what they have listed.... A van I have been trying to find out WHERE it is, so I can go look, the seller just stopped responding. It had been listed for 8 weeks when I first looked, so, don't know if he sold it, or his lack of responses is the REASON it has been listed for so long. At this point, if someone further away knows of a good vehicle, for reasonable money (under 4K preferably) I am all ears. I can fly down, and drive back.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-18-2023, 01:09 PM

That reminds me of all those big bodied Cadillacs and Lincolns with horizontal gauges from back in the day. 😂

Sorry to hear you are having trouble in the car market. Wholesalers contact says new and used is going to be bananas for next 3-5 years. A friend just ordered a new high spec 4Runner for 50K. They said 7+ months for delivery.

​​​​​​At this rate I might sell you my truck for $3,500 if I lose patience. Only problem is then I would be in the same boat finding a replacement in the meantime. ​​​​​

Old 03-18-2023, 01:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

An arizona truck? Yeah, I could go for that.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou
An arizona truck? Yeah, I could go for that.
🤔 Don't tempt me. 😂 She's not the belle of the ball, but probably worth 3 times that in rust free parts.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

2 or 4 wheel drive? I REALLY need 4x4 up here in the snow belt.

I wish my truck looked that good.......

Old 03-18-2023, 10:34 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Trojanman4881 02 4.7 Ram Qcab 45RFE
That reminds me of all those big bodied Cadillacs and Lincolns with horizontal gauges from back in the day. 😂

Sorry to hear you are having trouble in the car market. Wholesalers contact says new and used is going to be bananas for next 3-5 years. A friend just ordered a new high spec 4Runner for 50K. They said 7+ months for delivery.

​​​​​​At this rate I might sell you my truck for $3,500 if I lose patience. Only problem is then I would be in the same boat finding a replacement in the meantime. ​​​​​
I'm in the market for a vehicle (preferably a crew cab truck), and it's hell in the market. Lots of vehicles are sitting because they're overpriced. I've had 4 vehicles sell the day I was gonna look at them or try to come in. My budget is really high too. An Arizona truck sounds amazing right now lmao.

Old 03-18-2023, 11:35 PM

Mine is a full Arizona truck. 2nd owner. 4X2 unfortunately. @Hey You Though I don't miss broken transfer cases, odd tire wear, and beating the wheel hubs apart with a sledge trying to do brakes or a wheel bearing. I do want a 3/4 ton, 4X4 diesel next. Don't have $50-100k to play with. 🍻

@ Alex ​​​​​​There are survivors here similar to my truck 4X4 with 200k miles. Lots of other bugs and kinks, overall a good value. 5-10k with lifts, options, and custom work. Some even from small dealers with warranties. There are a few auctions here in Tucson and hundreds in Phoenix if you have cash or don't mind the drama.

Be aware that most vehicles will be severely sunburn and dry rotted though. Dashes, interiors, lights, bumpers, fenders, seals, hoses, radiators, electrical, etc... don't live long. I would recommend a full overhaul and eval before driving more than a couple hundred miles.

Old 03-19-2023, 12:20 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Trojanman4881 02 4.7 Ram Qcab 45RFE
@ Alex ​​​​​​There are survivors here similar to my truck 4X4 with 200k miles. Lots of other bugs and kinks, overall a good value. 5-10k with lifts, options, and custom work. Some even from small dealers with warranties. There are a few auctions here in Tucson and hundreds in Phoenix if you have cash or don't mind the drama.

Be aware that most vehicles will be severely sunburn and dry rotted though. Dashes, interiors, lights, bumpers, fenders, seals, hoses, radiators, electrical, etc... don't live long. I would recommend a full overhaul and eval before driving more than a couple hundred miles.
It's funny because here in the Northeast it's mainly the rust that kills all of the vehicles. If I were near the west coast I would go there to look.

Quick Reply: Bad fuel, rough idle, better scanner? Idk?