3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Valves ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 06:58 PM
DodgeTheFatha
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valves ?

Video

so this all started with what I thought was a hydraulic lifter failure , upon inspection, all the rocker arms seem fine and nothing really obviously sticks out to me. Should I keep going and inspect the valves ? I have another video with the initial problems.

Dodge Ram 1500 2003 4.7

Last edited by DodgeTheFatha; 03-06-2023 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:11 PM
DodgeTheFatha
Default Other Video

Other Video

Old 03-06-2023, 08:55 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

Listening to your video sounds more like a rod bearing to me, Id yank all the plugs and see if you can make the bottom end thunk when turning the crank back n forth

The following users liked this post:
DodgeTheFatha (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 09:50 PM
DodgeTheFatha

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Listening to your video sounds more like a rod bearing to me, Id yank all the plugs and see if you can make the bottom end thunk when turning the crank back n forth
So how I understood it is to unplug the boots and crank the engine ? Do you think it’s worth pulling the head ?

Old 03-07-2023, 08:40 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts

I wouldn't go so far as removing the heads yet, it might come to that depending on what you find but right now I was just suggesting removing the spark plugs to relieve compression pressure when turn the engine, and then using your wrench on the front in the video, or more so probably use a solid breaker bar, not a ratchet and move the engine crank back and forth in rotation a few degrees and see if you feel a "loose" spot and clunk, I'm not positive it'll work just an easier way to start checking for loose rod bearings

Old 03-07-2023, 12:54 PM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Did the noise suddenly start, or has it been getting louder over time?
Anything happen to the truck lately, like an overtemp or fender bender?
Your initial diagnosis is a good a guess as any at this point. You may also want to check for something loose, like a heat shield. Also check around heads for exhaust leak.
Did you just change your oil? How about the filter? Filter is a good place to look for metal bits. If you still have old oil you can get an oil analysis.
I'd try to isolate the sound. A mechanic's stethoscope is handy, but you can use a length of garden hose and hold one end to your ear and the other to various places on the engine.

Quick Reply: Valves ?