3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Using impact on torsion bar adjustment bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 08:41 PM
Thatctuy
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Using impact on torsion bar adjustment bolts?

I jacked up the front end (w/ wheels off of the ground) and attempted to crank the torsion bolts but was fighting with rust and they were not budging. Did several rounds of pb blaster, heat, + wire brush but still can't turn the bolts using a breaker + long cheater bar. I was tempted to try to break it loose using impact. Will I risk any damage using that vs breaker + cheater bar?

Old 04-18-2023, 09:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Might break off the bolts, but, that could happen regardless of what tool you use. Might try loosening them first, just to get them to move, then work 'em back and forth.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
bigjailerman (10-30-2023), Thatctuy (04-21-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 02:12 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Light tap (repeated for a couple minutes) with a hammer (not a BFH) on the bolt head tends to help. I use an old 4 oz ball peen hammer I inherited, but an 8oz hammer will work. You're not trying to mushroom the head, just vibrate the bolt in the nut.

The following 2 users liked this post by fj5gtx:
bigjailerman (10-30-2023), Thatctuy (04-21-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 08:04 PM
Thatctuy
Amateur

Well, was able to get the driver's side bolt moving but no luck on the passenger side. My little pancake compressor wasnt enough to make the bolt budge @ all. Paranoid I'm going to snap the bolt using breaker + extension. Was thinking about getting a torsion bar unloading tool (clamp), using that to brace the key, and removing the bolt + nut. Figured I would just swap out with a new bolt and adjusting nut. Does this seem feasible?

Old 06-08-2023, 11:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Are you trying to remove them? Or install them? Either way, unloading the front suspension will make your life easier. Chemicals help too. (PB Blaster, or similar)

Old 06-08-2023, 12:51 PM
Thatctuy
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are you trying to remove them? Or install them? Either way, unloading the front suspension will make your life easier. Chemicals help too. (PB Blaster, or similar)
i want to remove the adjuster bolt + nut. I believe the nut is too rusted to allow the bolt to spin. Was thinking if I can't clean up the adjuster nut threads I would replace it. P/o lowered the truck so the torsion key is sitting on the adjuster nut with no exposed threads from the bolt. I have used heat, wire brush, and pb blaster. I got the d/s turning but the p/s won't budge. Have been soaking in pb blaster a couple times a week for about a month and still no dice.

Old 06-08-2023, 03:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hit it with an impact. If it breaks, replace the key.

Quick Reply: Using impact on torsion bar adjustment bolts?