3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overheating asd relay/fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 05:39 PM
Scottybig42
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating asd relay/fuel pump relay

So I have had a issue with my 2004 dodge ram 1500 5.7 for a while now. The truck stalls while driving, shuts off while idling after it gets up to operating temperature, and it used to shut off when I put it in gear. All the things I have done over the last 6 months.-replaced fuel pump-replaced camshaft and crankshaft sensors 3 times with mopar parts.-replaced ASD/ and fuel pump relays-replaced computer 3 times-replaced egr valve-cleaned the throttle body-replaced the alternator-replaced coil packs-spark plugs-ac compressor-battery 3 times-checked all wires for damages and fraying-added external voltage regulator( wasnt the issue)The truck starts up everytime and runs great and then it gets warm and shuts off. The ASD and fuel pump relays get really hot (116 degrees F) to the touch which makes me believe it's shutting off the power to the fuel pump. Considering replacing the tipm module because I honestly don't know what else it could be. If anyone has any insight on what it can be other then the tipm please let me know. I haven't been able to find any kits or instructions on how to put in a external fuel pump relay. Thank you in advance.

Old 07-01-2023, 12:09 PM
Scottybig42
Default Grounding

Alright so I'm curious I feel like I should know the answer but I just want to confirm my suspicion. On the 04 dodge ram the ecm is grounded by being applied to the firewall correct? It grounds itself out since it applied to the bare metal firewall instead of having a actual ground wire attached to it.

Old 07-01-2023, 12:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

I believe there are a few grounds from the wiring harness as well.....

Old 07-01-2023, 12:46 PM
Scottybig42

So I replaced the tipm and it did the same thing where it got hot. But I went over to the ecm and when I bumped it the fuel pump primed again. So I waited a second and pushed on it again and the fuel pump primed again. I'm think the ecm itself isn't grounded correctly. It has a little play when I touch it. So I think I'm gonna run a ground wire from behind the bolt to the chasis to get s solid ground

Old 07-01-2023, 12:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Or, run a fat ground directly to the battery......

Old 07-01-2023, 01:04 PM
Scottybig42

True that. I just added a small one from the computer to the chasis and it gave a hard start symptom and then fired up. Now throwing crankshaft sensor code again. It's been replaced 2 times and has a genuine mopar part in it now. Gonna let it run and try to calibrate itself and hopefully this will be my fix to it shutting off

Quick Reply: Overheating asd relay/fuel pump relay