3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical issues 2004 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 06:56 AM
GiveMEaHemi
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical issues 2004 Ram 1500

I have a new battery in my truck but a couple of times I have came out to get in and go and the battery is dead. Finally one day I went to get back in after parking for 20 minutes and heard the fan motor running. I found the problem, the fan would come back on with no key in the switch and run the battery down. Also every now and then the wipers will come one and maybe wipe one or two times and then stop, again with no key in the switch. What is causing this?

Old 07-05-2023, 10:13 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

A little while ago, someone brought up an old thread that pointed to the clockspring... I have that random wiper sweep on mine, very intermittent when I open the door in the morning. I haven't replaced mine yet, but its on the list.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ery-drain.html

Old 07-05-2023, 02:25 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GiveMEaHemi
Also every now and then the wipers will come one and maybe wipe one or two times and then stop, again with no key in the switch. What is causing this?
It is the rise of the machines.... A I

computers

These gremlins sound like what I have seen and heard of with grounding spider connections that have a high resistance. Look around for the common ground points and look to see if they are rusty or corrosion. Take the bolts off and wire brush, steel wool, or scotch-brite the terminal tabs and the metal where they are connected.

This solves a lot of these mystery faults on 4th gen Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth minivans. It is certainly worth a look and doesn't cost much other than labor.

Another consideration is looking at the connections on the bottom of the IPM (fuse box)
IPM Integrated Power Module: I am a new RAM owner. About 50+ hours right now... BUT these IPM's have occasional loose pins and corrosion when they are inspected. Everything gets its power from the IPM and could possibly have corrosion that leads battery discharge or intermittent component operation.

I hope this helps you.

Please return and tell how this information worked for you, what you find, and how you eventually fix your vehicle (even if it is that you brought it to a mechanic / dealership for repair)
It is your feedback and final repair report that will make these forums useful to others in the future.
Many times I search and find the same exact fault that I am having, someone suggests how to fix it, the patron follows the suggestion and then never returns to say [img]file:///C:/Users/fabri/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img] \YEA! or NAY...

The forum thread just goes dead because the person fixed their fault and has not a care to offer the answer anymore. Please don't be that guy.

Cheers!

Old 07-05-2023, 02:33 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional

Also, computers,... you may need a high quality professional scanner to realize what is going on if the other suggestions don't reveal anything.

I also suggest that you try to be scientific and methodical in your search. I would resist the temptation to do all or a lot of my above suggestions all at once.
Imagine if you tore apart the IPM and all the ground spiders, AND a few other electrical couplings and then tried to see if you fixed it...

NOW imagine what it would be like if suddenly the vehicle is WORSE!
If you do one thing and test, then find it is better or worse, then you know it is because you messed around in that one spot. MUCH EASIER to know, to inspect, and to retrace your steps. AND if it returns, then you know that is where to look.

I hope what I just added makes sense. Occasionally I confuse an issue as I am better relating with machines than relating with people.
Cheers!

Old 07-06-2023, 07:26 AM
GiveMEaHemi
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 electrical issues

ok thanks guys, will try some of these repairs as soon as I get the chance. Right now I have the problem solved by making sure the fan control **** is in the off position and AC button off before removing keys and exiting the truck and no more dead battery. But if I for get and leave them in the on position, the fan will come back on later and kill the battery.

Old 07-06-2023, 10:57 AM
FabricGATOR
Professional

Hmm,,,
please update if the battery goes dead despite taking these precautions.
Bon Chance! (good luck)

Quick Reply: Electrical issues 2004 Ram 1500