3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mis-guided plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 06:03 PM
Watch dog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mis-guided plug

I have a 2003 dodge 2500 that I replaced the heater core in. After it was complete, I found this wire, I’m thinking it goes to the overhead console, cause it does not work any more. I can’t find what it connects to. Does anyone know. Thanks

Old 07-29-2023, 07:09 PM
aleekat
Veteran
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't think that would have been routed to the overhead. Since it zip tied and dirty it looks like it never was connected. A guess would be some type of aerial, sat, nav connection.
EDIT: Reminds me of a CB Radio antennae connector.

Last edited by aleekat; 07-29-2023 at 08:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MikeHTally (07-30-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 07:33 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by aleekat
Since it zip tied and dirty it looks like it never was connected. A guess would be some type of aerial, sat, nav connection.
I would have to agree. That cable would be for something like that.

Old 07-30-2023, 12:00 AM
Watch dog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the one who zip tied it, I’m not sure why else my console doesn’t work and it all happened around the same time.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:41 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Overhead console gets power from a plug in the drivers side A Pillar. Passenger side pillar has a plug (usually) for cab lights.

That's a coax, as others said, looks like a CB antenna cable. You might find the corresponding antenna screw mount somewhere on the outside of the vehicle sans aerial.

The following 2 users liked this post by Prismatic:
FabricGATOR (08-03-2023), MikeHTally (07-30-2023)
Old 08-03-2023, 02:25 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
I would have to agree. That cable would be for something like that.
I would also look underneath the truck, behind the cab for the other end of that RG antenna wire, Myself, I would avoid punching a hole trough my truck cab... or I'd go through the fire wall maybe.

Hey WatchDog, could you not see where that wire was going? It is a pretty uncommon wire and should be really recognizable in a bundle.

As for your overhead information console, like Prismatic said, you likely missed reconnecting a connector somewhere. I am going to Pic-N-Pull today, if I get a chance and there is one on the dirt, I'll take a quick look for you...
Cheers!

Did you replace the air conditioner evaporator while you had it all torn apart? I also always R&R the evaporator temperature sensor... and the accumulator drier seeing as I had the refrigerant recovered.

Quick Reply: Mis-guided plug