3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re problematic shifting delayed shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 11:15 PM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re problematic shifting delayed shift

So i have a 02 ram 3rd gen with the 5.9 magnum 46re trans, and as weird as it sounds it’ll like to stay in 2nd gear and not shift into 3rd unless i climb the rpm’s to 3k or 4500 maybe higher, a day ago it was smooth like butter 1-2 perfect 2-3 perfect now it shifts just fine into other gears it’s just that 2-3 rarely 1-2, now i’ve checked tv cabled adjusted it correctly and kick down spring is fine, but it only seems to do this WHEN i am low on fuel (below middle line or lower mostly) and when i am low it’ll act up and not shift

Old 08-02-2023, 11:16 PM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur

Originally Posted by Spooderboss2000
So i have a 02 ram 3rd gen with the 5.9 magnum 46re trans, and as weird as it sounds it’ll like to stay in 2nd gear and not shift into 3rd unless i climb the rpm’s to 3k or 4500 maybe higher, a day ago it was smooth like butter 1-2 perfect 2-3 perfect now it shifts just fine into other gears it’s just that 2-3 rarely 1-2, now i’ve checked tv cabled adjusted it correctly and kick down spring is fine, but it only seems to do this WHEN i am low on fuel (below middle line or lower mostly) and when i am low it’ll act up and not shift
Now i’m not sure if low fuel has anything to do with it not shifting but i also have abs lights on about some sensors but it’s been there for years and it goes away unless i brake it’ll come on i have yet to check the codes

Old 08-03-2023, 08:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Does you speedo work properly?

Old 08-03-2023, 10:55 AM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does you speedo work properly?
Yeah i did the gauge sweep and everything works fine, i’ve only replaced the pcm since the last one had a p0601 issue

Old 08-03-2023, 11:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Low fuel may just be a coincidence, but, I haven't the faintest how the systems could possibly interact these days.... Given that EVERYTHING goes thru the firggin' computer. Including the gas gauge......

Old 08-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Low fuel may just be a coincidence, but, I haven't the faintest how the systems could possibly interact these days.... Given that EVERYTHING goes thru the firggin' computer. Including the gas gauge......
I filled it up in the morning and it shifted just fine through the gears which is weird it still has a little delay but i’m gonna adjust the tv cable again it may be stretching

Old 08-03-2023, 03:38 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are having troubles, they usually suck, suck real bad...

What is the TV cable you area talking about?

I too doubt that it is fuel level BUT, being these things area so electronically controlled these days, it certainly could be that some electrons area back feeding and finding a path through the fuel pump module, so black magic VooDoo is certainly possible.

If I were you... I would go to my friends auto repair shop and use his fancy professional scanners and pull all the codes and watch some live data. I am very lucky to have this machinery (computer) available to me.
SnapOn Versus Edge
Autell Maxis 608i
(IIRC)

Now, perhaps you can find some codes with a auto part store scanner, they have certainly been getting better these days. And maybe some dongle and app combination...

A company called Sonnax engineering makes transmission upgrade parts and such for known situation as a transmission spool valve wears out and things like that. As an example, my 2004 5.7 1500 with 545RFE transmission has a pressure transducer that computer controls internal fluid pressures and they designed an electronic gizmo that connects between the wire harness and the pressure transducer to trick the transmission to running an ever so slightly pressure and as such, it smooths out the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts.
You could google Sonnax Transmission and enter your vehicle transmission and browse what they offer for your truck , It may just help lead you in the right direction to test, discover your faults.

Please try to return and let us all know how you fix this, even if you end up taking it somewhere and have AAMCO raid your wallet. Tell us what they sell you and how much it costs
BUT
...fix it yourself if you can.
Cheers

Last edited by FabricGATOR; 08-03-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:43 PM
Spooderboss2000
Amateur

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
Sorry to hear that you are having troubles, they usually suck, suck real bad...

What is the TV cable you area talking about?

I too doubt that it is fuel level BUT, being these things area so electronically controlled these days, it certainly could be that some electrons area back feeding and finding a path through the fuel pump module, so black magic VooDoo is certainly possible.

If I were you... I would go to my friends auto repair shop and use his fancy professional scanners and pull all the codes and watch some live data. I am very lucky to have this machinery (computer) available to me.
SnapOn Versus Edge
Autell Maxis 608i
(IIRC)

Now, perhaps you can find some codes with a auto part store scanner, they have certainly been getting better these days. And maybe some dongle and app combination...

A company called Sonnax engineering makes transmission upgrade parts and such for known situation as a transmission spool valve wears out and things like that. As an example, my 2004 5.7 1500 with 545RFE transmission has a pressure transducer that computer controls internal fluid pressures and they designed an electronic gizmo that connects between the wire harness and the pressure transducer to trick the transmission to running an ever so slightly pressure and as such, it smooths out the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts.
You could google Sonnax Transmission and enter your vehicle transmission and browse what they offer for your truck , It may just help lead you in the right direction to test, discover your faults.

Please try to return and let us all know how you fix this, even if you end up taking it somewhere and have AAMCO raid your wallet. Tell us what they sell you and how much it costs
BUT
...fix it yourself if you can.
Cheers
Throttle valve cable that goes from the intake lever to trans mission lever, i also put gas in it and it seems to be acting up still, it may, im starting to think it might be the superchips tuner or abs codes it may have im gonna try reverting to stock and see if it does anything

Old 08-05-2023, 01:38 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now it certainly could be something having to do with a tuna and with this heat hot tuna may stink, seriously now

So these computer controlled transmission learn the drivers habits and how they drive like how they apply the accelerator as the turn a corner or depart a green light traffic light. I am new to RAM pickup, about a little over a month now, but I did rebuild my Chrysler A604/41TE and learned a lot about the computer and how it interacts. (I know different, but same?) I have been learning the 545RFE on my 5.7Hemi Ram 1500 and see that they are in many ways similar but different/

Regardless, There was a transmission learning procedure that I remember reading about that I did and it involved holding the gas pedal at a steady 60-70% throttle angle and allowing the transmission to go through all the gears from a full stop a few times, then a few kick down exercises on the highway, and a few other things, stuff like that. I remember doing it late at night in light traffic and deserted roadways.
OR I could have just drove like normal and it would eventually figure it out... BUT now my DIY rebuildit transmission shifts smooth like budda. Before it had a few hard shifts like you describe.

Another thing to consider is that our ATF+4 has friction modifiers and does funky things if the wrong fluid is mixed... Been to Jiffy Lube lately?

Honda Civic uses their own specified ATF fluid. The civic forum guys do three drain refill and drive cycles when their transmission starts to have harsh shifts. You have to use Honda Fluid for the Honda and conveniently accessible is a drain plug on the transmission case. Go figure. I know from experience that the drain refill flush 3x does work on a 1996 Hinda Civic. Just sayin.

PRE 2004 RAM gen 3 (again, I am gleaning 545RFE information) had a black colored solenoid connection and if the upgraded (and 2004 on) that transmission TCM connector became white to indicate which solenoid pack was installed. The 41TE has an external solenoid and many transmission discrepancies can be related to it and fixed by replacement (though not all solenoid packs are equal)

I hope you get it figured out, I hate broken machines.
Please return and tell us what you find out and if there is a procedure like I described, please share it with us here.
Cheers!

Quick Reply: 46re problematic shifting delayed shift