3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cant't make my cruise control working - what to try next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 09:29 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by GrossmeisterB
Cheers everyone,

it is driving me a little bit crazy, my cruise control won't work as it should.

After switching the clock spring, I can switch it on and the dash will read "Cruise".
At about 25mph I can enable it and it works, but at about 40mph it will switch off itself - "Cruise" will disappear and it will not hold speed.

I changed:
Brake pedal switch
Rear differential speed sensor
Front left wheel bearing including wheel speed sensor

ABS light is off, so no obvious error(s)?

What else can I check and/or do to make it work?
I really need this for longer journeys to come.

Thank you!

I had a similar issue with both my '97 Dakota and my '96 Ram 1500. Cleaning the switches got the Ram system working. The '97 Dakota got a pair of steering wheel switches from the salvage yard. I had an '02 third gen that the cruise didn't work but electronics cleaner got it going again.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:41 PM
GrossmeisterB
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But then why is it going off at exact the same speed though?
It does engage and I can accelerate/decelarate with the buttons, but when over 40mph it will switch itself off.
Does not sound like the button canceling it from alone?

I hope my DRB III clone scanner will arrive soon so I can check the sensor inputs and hopefully find the culprit.

What I thought about maybe: it has 33x12.5x20 tires on stock 4th gen Laramie rims, so my speedometer is very accurate now, exactly like the GPS signal.
So if the computer doesn*t "know" this maybe it thinks that something is wrong and switches it off?

Old 08-30-2023, 06:24 PM
Gilray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for sending parts info, but unfortunately they for a later model Dodge, mine is a 2013 Durango and needs an adaptive speed control module part number 68137576AC, also talked to a local Dodge shop and the tech there told me that it was impossible to redo VIN number in an already used unit, so either I pony up $4800 CDN for local Dodge part or I am out of luck, do you guys have any other ideas about how to do this?
Cheers Gil.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:06 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilray
Hey thanks for sending parts info, but unfortunately they for a later model Dodge, mine is a 2013 Durango and needs an adaptive speed control module part number 68137576AC, also talked to a local Dodge shop and the tech there told me that it was impossible to redo VIN number in an already used unit, so either I pony up $4800 CDN for local Dodge part or I am out of luck, do you guys have any other ideas about how to do this?
Cheers Gil.
a qwik google of your p/n shows $2350-$2800
Replace it your self and then bring it in for programming (if it doesn't program itself)

Last edited by FabricGATOR; 08-30-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:41 PM
GrossmeisterB
Professional

Cheers everyone again, I finally was able to get a Diablosport Predator up and running - thanks to Rick from Diablosport to make it happen!

Now I was able to set my wheel size correctly. But the cruise control still does not work properly.

The speedometer is working fine and showing the correct speed.
I even changed the front left wheel bearing including the sensor, so they should be "matched" and working now.
But still, at about 40mph, the cruise control switches itself off ("CRUISE" disappears on the dash).
When going slower (below 40mph) it can be switched on again.

Now what is that? Really odd and I don't really know what to do.

Is there any other code reader that can read vehicle speed sensors on this 2004 car?!

Old 09-29-2023, 01:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Programming bug? Wonder if there is an update you need.

Old 09-29-2023, 02:55 PM
GrossmeisterB
Professional

I think I will have to go to the shop I went to last time, they have some big SnapOn scanner that should read the sensors maybe.
I read on a German forum that someone had the same issue, swapped front left wheel bearing including sensor and it was working fine again.
But I already did that.
Changed all sensor (front left wheel speed, rear differential speed, gearbox output speed) and brake light switch.
Won't make sense to keep changing parts I think. I wanted to buy a scanner that reads OBD and ABS, but these are 200+US$ though. Not worth it of using it once as I can read everything OBD now with the Predator anyway...

Quick Reply: Cant't make my cruise control working - what to try next?