3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crazy Fan clutch issue !

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 09:36 AM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Prismatic
We're all just going to casually ignore that he's got a code for a malfunctioning TCC? If he doesn't have lockup he'll overheat in no time towing.
As long as you casually ignore my assertion....

I didn't realize that the tcc was inop during towing. OK, never mind

Old 10-01-2023, 02:40 AM
usmctanks61
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Sounds like you've lost lockup. It could be the solenoid pack or the TCC its self.
I'm leaning that direction after the P1740 code popped up. Have an appointment in a week at the trans shop to diagnose the issue.

Old 10-01-2023, 02:50 AM
usmctanks61
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FabricGATOR
Like I said previously, there is some sort of thermal (mechanical) transmission thermostat that stops the oil cooler from circulating until the transmission gets up to operating temperature.

I googled
545RFE transmission thermostat
and sure enough, sometimes it fails and get stuck in recirculation mode.

Symptoms:

• Overheating
  • Overheated fluid

Cause:

The thermal bypass valve in the OE cooler bypass valve can become stuck in the cooler bypass position, causing hot fluid to circulate in the transmission that leads to overheating.

** It looks like this valve block may (luckily) be external to the transmission AND I would get a replacement thermal valve and NOT THE SONNAX BS CHEAT PART unless you never expect tooperate in cold climate...

Please let us know what you find and how you fix it.

PS, in MY a604 transmission from my minivan, I would have to remove the transmission and open the cavity to change this part.... so you area lucky if this is external..
This was my first thought as my original transmission cooler was leaking so while out of town on the road had a shop in idaho order a mishimoto ( has a removable thermostat) and replace it and at the same time check flow for obstructions thru the block mounted heat exchanger. Was told all was good. The mishimoto did lower my around town without trailer temps by 20° but with trailer in tow/haul still overheats.

The following users liked this post:
FabricGATOR (10-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Crazy Fan clutch issue !