3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 Dodge Ram Starts, Runs, Then Won't Start Again

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 01:50 PM
VickyLLeaf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2003 Dodge Ram Starts, Runs, Then Won't Start Again

Why is it that each morning my 2003 Dodge 4x4 hemi truck will start up and drive nice. As soon as I shut it off, it'll turn over but won't start again until the next morning. We changed the fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, and it's still doing exactly the same. It's the craziest thing. Every now and then, it will start again on the same day when we use starter fluid. But not often does starter fluid work.

This has been ongoing for some time now. Does anyone have an idea what causes this? Reaching out for thoughts/suggestions before having to take it in and the spend big $$. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by VickyLLeaf; 10-01-2023 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added truck details
Old 10-01-2023, 09:05 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

a head scratcher....

The fact that starting fluid is not working every time leads me to believe it is an ignition fault.

The starting fluid is a secondary 'hot' fuel source, so we're not going to look to far into fuel delivery or injectors etc.

I would check the voltage at the coils with the key on but not running. All coils get voltage from the fuse box (it is called an IPM or TIPM depending on year of manufacture).
The transition from 'fuse box to IPM/TIPM (total integrated power module) has most circuits going through the IPM, These IPM's can get funky with loose wires and or corrosion and is a good place to hunt for faults. There are companies that 'rebuild' them but don't go there quite yet.
Troubleshoot <>< Test<> Prove... then replace is the best way

What is the full year make model and engine size? you said 2003 and 4x4

What about the CEL (check engine light) is it illuminated? Has it been illuminated for some time and y'all have been ignoring it ( don't worry, you are not alone if so) How long (guess time and aprox miles)?

Do you have access to a scan tool, a friend, or autoparts store... I like a store where they let me borrow a tool and I can do my own scan.... Otherwise some helpful clerk is going to go out and scan your car and then TELL you what parts to buy and install... they don't likely know. IF THEY WERE A SKILLED technician, they would likely be making a lot more money doing that rather than slinging Chinese parts from behind a counter.
If they scan you, take pictures of the screen or video the whole thing.

Google the codes and try to learn what they MAY MEAN... like the autoparts kid google doesn't really know. BUT, if you google the codes and learn a little, then when you post them here, we can talk and you'll have some idea what the fault COULD be , before you start throwing parts at it.... like the fuel pump. It cost a handful and a days toil and while it didn't fix it, you may have introduced a new variable into the mix.

Please, please... do return always and let us know what you find and how you fix it.
...and remember, just because someone can post a video to YouTube, that doesn;t make them an expert... heck, I could post a video about how I cloned my dog in my garage and I may know what that is all about.
(Dolly and/or the Honolulu mice)

Old 10-02-2023, 11:45 AM
VickyLLeaf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A wealth of info to consider, thank you so much.

My truck is a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi 5.7L. The check engine light was on when I bought it used about 10 yrs ago and yes... ignored the CEL since the truck has been running good (up until now)..

Going to digest your info and look into getting a code reader first thing. Will definitely report back as I go along. Again, many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

Old 10-03-2023, 01:45 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VickyLLeaf
A wealth of info to consider, thank you so much.

My truck is a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi 5.7L. The check engine light was on when I bought it used about 10 yrs ago and yes... ignored the CEL since the truck has been running good (up until now)..

Going to digest your info and look into getting a code reader first thing. Will definitely report back as I go along. Again, many thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.
I wouldn't buy one just yet (a code reader) try a local autoparts store for a free scan...

... my friend Dave says that if you go to a tire store, they are going to try to sell you tires, so do your best to record the codes and try to not buy everything they are going to try to sell you.

A standard policy is that any electrical part becomes not returnable once you tried it (installed) so keep that in mind.

The following users liked this post:
Undergrad35 (10-03-2023)

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Ram Starts, Runs, Then Won't Start Again