3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help with Dodge Ram 1500 slt 2004

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 12:55 AM
jrtjrt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help with Dodge Ram 1500 slt 2004

Hello, How's it going all. Bought a used 2004 Dodge ram, had it inspected but the party didn't check the internal miles and I found out later it had odometer fraud. Had some very expensive repairs, but overall has been a very good truck. While driving yesterday and going up a hill I stopped and check engine light came on. Once I started to accelerate I barely moved, and had to restart the truck and it worked fine after. p0760 and p0700, the transmission fluid is clear with no grime or bad smell. Can anyone please give me any insight, I don't have the money to keep paying labor to fix all of this. Seattle area based, if anyone has advice for independent mechanics. Have cash...... Thank you for any insight or advice.

EDIT.......While driving the truck kind of "jumps' or 'hiccups' also rattling sound at times. Thank you

edit 2...engine is running a little hot, I think as well. no leaking or other problems

Last edited by jrtjrt; 10-02-2023 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:02 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd almost want to see the fluid dark and a bit smelly. Clean fluid in a 2004 used with ODO fraud tells me they flushed it to try and hide a problem. Did you buy it private party or from a lot? You have legal rights either way. Save your cash on hand and use it to get an attorneys opinion.

Old 10-03-2023, 02:08 PM
FabricGATOR
Professional
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jrtjrt
Hello, How's it going all. Bought a used 2004 Dodge ram, had it inspected but the party didn't check the internal miles and I found out later it had odometer fraud. Had some very expensive repairs, but overall has been a very good truck. While driving yesterday and going up a hill I stopped and check engine light came on. Once I started to accelerate I barely moved, and had to restart the truck and it worked fine after. p0760 and p0700, the transmission fluid is clear with no grime or bad smell. Can anyone please give me any insight, I don't have the money to keep paying labor to fix all of this. Seattle area based, if anyone has advice for independent mechanics. Have cash...... Thank you for any insight or advice.

EDIT.......While driving the truck kind of "jumps' or 'hiccups' also rattling sound at times. Thank you

edit 2...engine is running a little hot, I think as well. no leaking or other problems
Welcome to the forum,

So, have you had this vehicle for some time or is it new to you?
Do you know what engine you have? Do you know what transmission you have?
How many miles are indicated on the odometer and how many miles do you believe the truck really has?
Are there any additional codes?

p0700 says there is a code and p0760 says it is solenoid... I hope you googled and already know this...
So, when you look under the truck at the transmission on the driver side, there is a multi pin electrical connector...

I have a 2004 SLT with 5.7 hemi engine and a 545RFE transmission. I remember reading that there is an update transmission solenoid, and that it changes color of the part that the wire plugs into...

Now, DO NOT go out and buy a part to install just yet.
As Prismatic said above, the color of the fluid should not be the pretty strawberry Jolly Rancher candy pink with a sweet smell... Dodge transmission use ATF +4 transmission fluid and od things happen when it is contaminated with other transmission fluids.
Now, DO NOT run out and get a few quarts of fluid and try to change the fluid. It is not like changing the engine oil and may not be the problem either.

We are just getting started and knowledge is power...
If time is of the essence, perhaps try to find a reputable transmission shop and get an estimate... Tell us what they say.

Cheers and best of luck.
I only got my 04 a few months ago and I really like it.

Quick Reply: Please help with Dodge Ram 1500 slt 2004