3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 Front Diff. ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:15 AM
Hemi Dave
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Front Diff. ratio?

Quick question-does anyone know the front axle gear ratio for a 05,QC,Hemi,4x4,auto with a 3:92 rear and 20"s?

Old 01-07-2006, 10:58 AM
05_HEMI_HD
Default RE: 4x4 Front Diff. ratio?

Let me think here... [:@]

3.92 ...

Old 01-07-2006, 12:28 PM
ce2flaco
Veteran

I'm betting on 3.92 as well...call me crazy but i think i nailed this one.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the guys are right. They have to be the same or you couldn't drive it very far without something breaking, unless of course, you staggered the tire sizes front to rear---but that is a completely different complicated subject.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Saint
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ce2flaco

I'm betting on 3.92 as well...call me crazy but i think i nailed this one.
I think you're crazy.

It's a 3.92

Old 01-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Hemi Dave
Professional

Gang,

Based on the responses I can't say I'm glad I asked this question? Seems like a no brainer??? And if the ratios front/rear are the same its because Dodge doesn't use a center differential. This is my first Dodge and many of my previous Chevy 4X4's had different gears front to back. For example one had a 3:42 rear and a 4:10 in the front. It also had a New Process 203 transfer case "center differential" that supported different gears front to rear. Having a lower gear in the front really helps when your locked in low range off road conditions. I expect the Dodge even without the center diff. will still be slightly different since your only suppose to use 4 wheel during times of poor traction. I've looked all over and can't find front axle specs. anywhere.
ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

I know the guys are right. They have to be the same or you couldn't drive it very far without something breaking, unless of course, you staggered the tire sizes front to rear---but that is a completely different complicated subject.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:39 AM
HemiBuell
Captain

You are completely wrong about the NP203. Stop running your mouth.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:49 PM
mikahb
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Hemi Dave

Gang,

Based on the responses I can't say I'm glad I asked this question? Seems like a no brainer??? And if the ratios front/rear are the same its because Dodge doesn't use a center differential. This is my first Dodge and many of my previous Chevy 4X4's had different gears front to back. For example one had a 3:42 rear and a 4:10 in the front. It also had a New Process 203 transfer case "center differential" that supported different gears front to rear. Having a lower gear in the front really helps when your locked in low range off road conditions. I expect the Dodge even without the center diff. will still be slightly different since your only suppose to use 4 wheel during times of poor traction. I've looked all over and can't find front axle specs. anywhere.
Uhhhhhhh.... I think somebody may have fed you some misinformation at some point: couple things:

1) If you owned a Chevy with 3.42's in back and 4.10's in front and a NP203, you would have burned up the differential assembly in your Xfer case extremely quickly - like, probable less than 1k miles.
2) The only reason the 203 has a "center differential" is because it is a full-time 4WD transfer case. If you drive your truck around in 4WD much, you've probably noticed that it lurches and skips, that's because in a modern part-time Xfer case, there is no center diff (it was a major weak point in the 203) and the drivelines spin at the same rate. Even with the same gears in both axles, the front tires will turn at a slightly different rate than the rears during a tight turn
3) The only place I've seen different gears used front/back is in mud/sand drag racing rigs. Sometimes they run a little taller gear in the back so the fronts will steer the rig a little better
4) Having a lower gear in front than the back does not help at all in adverse traction conditions
5) All modern trucks - including your Dodge - will have the same axle ratios in both ends

Hope that helps.

Old 01-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Hemi Dave
Professional

I'll be speaking with the Ram dealer this week to find out for sure on the Dodge front axle and otherwise I'll see if I can come up with the old GM specs too.

ORIGINAL: mikahb

ORIGINAL: Hemi Dave

Gang,

Uhhhhhhh.... I think somebody may have fed you some misinformation at some point: couple things:

1) If you owned a Chevy with 3.42's in back and 4.10's in front and a NP203, you would have burned up the differential assembly in your Xfer case extremely quickly - like, probable less than 1k miles.
2) The only reason the 203 has a "center differential" is because it is a full-time 4WD transfer case. If you drive your truck around in 4WD much, you've probably noticed that it lurches and skips, that's because in a modern part-time Xfer case, there is no center diff (it was a major weak point in the 203) and the drivelines spin at the same rate. Even with the same gears in both axles, the front tires will turn at a slightly different rate than the rears during a tight turn
3) The only place I've seen different gears used front/back is in mud/sand drag racing rigs. Sometimes they run a little taller gear in the back so the fronts will steer the rig a little better
4) Having a lower gear in front than the back does not help at all in adverse traction conditions
5) All modern trucks - including your Dodge - will have the same axle ratios in both ends

Hope that helps.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:49 PM
05_black_beast
Professional

Dude, front ratio is the same as the rear on these trucks.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Front Diff. ratio?