3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel gauge problem, also fuel pump problem? 2004 HEMI 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 08:43 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Sometimes after gassing up it'll click up to the new level, other times it's a slow crawl up to the new level. All my dodge trucks have done that though.

I'd assume if it was a loose connection I'd experience a fuel deprivation misfire too but the issue seems isolated to the sending unit. Come back with an update if you ever figure it out.
You guys are lucky in that your fuel level sensor can be replaced. On my truck, I believe I'd have to replace the whole pump. I can't complain though, my pump is still original at 341K mi.

This is the FP for your truck. Screen grab from video below.... Basically an arm with a float and incremented contacts along the travel path. Here you can see the worn contacts which cause the sending issues. Hope that helps. The video shows you roughly how to replace it. Just two guys kidding around.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 01-22-2024 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge problem, also fuel pump problem? 2004 HEMI 4x4