3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 ram 2500 5.9 L 24 valve fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024 | 07:30 PM
mo-mud
|
Default 2004 ram 2500 5.9 L 24 valve fuel pump?

Hello everyone, I am working on my brother's early model 2004 Ram 2500 with a 5.9 L 24 valve Cummins /w 204,000 miles on it and need some expert help!!. Last week he was driving home and the engine just died like he turned off the key. He let it sit appropriately 20 minutes and it started up and ran strong for 4 miles and died again again.He called me,I pulled him home,It started up and ran perfect!!. This truck is all original ( No Mods) and he is the original owner. I started checking power at the the fuel tank to see if the lift pump was getting power.I didn't get power from the wires that would be running the pump.He told me it is a 2008 model truck before I started trying to diagnose it and while I was checking wires he told me it is a 2004 model🤬.. At this point I stopped working on it and had to do a little research on a 2004 (I should have looked myself).. So at this point I new it had the round fuel pump mounted to the back of the fuel filter housing and has not had the in tank conversion kit.It was getting late so I didn't get a chance to check the pump or power & ground.So, A Cummins mechanic friend told me that the CP3 pump WILL pull fuel from the tank through the small lift pump if it's not working..My Question's:: When this small external pump is going out will it run great for a few miles before it dies??. #2 :: Will this CP3 pump draw the fuel from the tank until it maybe looses it prime and die??.(He wants to replace the pump with the filter mounted one just like it is if the pump is bad). He replaced the fuel filter 6 days before it started doing this.This truck has always had routine maintenance and been taken care of.. I am gonna start working on it again tomorrow and check everything out. I know he got very lucky for this pump to last 200,000 miles.Question #3:: Has anyone had this dying out problem with this particular style pump and is there something else I should be checking also??. I am gonna drop the tank and make sure it's clean and to see if it has any gel in it..Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank"s

Old 02-22-2024 | 02:00 PM
mo-mud
|
Default I really need some advice

[QUOTE=mo-mud;3582615]Hello everyone, I am working on my brother's early model 2004 Ram 2500 with a 5.9 L 24 valve Cummins /w 204,000 miles on it and need some expert help!!. Last week he was driving home and the engine just died like he turned off the key. He let it sit appropriately 20 minutes and it started up and ran strong for 4 miles and died again again.He called me,I pulled him home,It started up and ran perfect!!. This truck is all original ( No Mods) and he is the original owner. I started checking power at the the fuel tank to see if the lift pump was getting power.I didn't get power from the wires that would be running the pump.He told me it is a 2008 model truck before I started trying to diagnose it and while I was checking wires he told me it is a 2004 model🤬.. At this point I stopped working on it and had to do a little research on a 2004 (I should have looked myself).. So at this point I new it had the round fuel pump mounted to the back of the fuel filter housing and has not had the in tank conversion kit.It was getting late so I didn't get a chance to check the pump or power & ground.So, A Cummins mechanic friend told me that the CP3 pump WILL pull fuel from the tank through the small lift pump if it's not working..My Question's:: When this small external pump is going out will it run great for a few miles before it dies??. #2 :: Will this CP3 pump draw the fuel from the tank until it maybe looses it prime and die??.(He wants to replace the pump with the filter mounted one just like it is if the pump is bad). He replaced the fuel filter 6 days before it started doing this.This truck has always had routine maintenance and been taken care of.. I am gonna start working on it again tomorrow and check everything out. I know he got very lucky for this pump to last 200,000 miles.Question #3:: Has anyone had this dying out problem with this particular style pump and is there something else I should be checking also??. I am gonna drop the tank and make sure it's clean and to see if it has any gel in it..Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.Thank"s .. I COULD REALLY USE SOME ADVICE PLEASE..

Quick Reply: 2004 ram 2500 5.9 L 24 valve fuel pump?