3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3" lift - change anything else? Shocks, axles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 04:54 AM
GrossmeisterB
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3" lift - change anything else? Shocks, axles?

Cheers everyone,

I am looking into a slight lift on my 2004 RAM 1500 4x5 5.7 HEMI, I found some nice 3" lift kits on eBay that have different torsion bar keys and lift blocks in the rear.
I know this is just the "cheap way" to do it, but as I don't do any real serious offroading and just want it for the looks and to better clear the 35" tires I am aiming for something like that.
So is there anything else I need to change in that process? Like lowering the differential or crazy stuff like different axles, joints?
The kit comes with extensions for the front shock absorbers, but not the rears? I am on Bilstein 4600.
Thanks a lot guys!

Old 02-22-2024, 07:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Not sure three inches is gonna be enough for 35's.....

Old 02-22-2024, 07:49 AM
GrossmeisterB
Professional

I already have them on the car, I had to trim it a litte bit at the front bumper and at the fender though.
It does clear them with just the keys cranked up but it only slightly rubs at full lock when braking hard at the inner fender. I already cut away a small piece but don't want to cut that much more and I think the additional lift would help a lot with that.

So will I need different parts other than the lift kit? Front upper control arms maybe?

Old 02-22-2024, 08:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you have them on there already, with NO lift..... and just cranked torsion bars, likely you will just need to be careful when driving. I don't know that re-indexed torsion keys are going to get you any more lift, than what you got from just cranking the stock fellers. It isn't the keys that limit lift, it's the ball joints/CV joints. Put too much of an angle on them, and it drastically shortens their lifespan, and there is also the higher potential for things breaking. Tossing a balljoint while on the freeway is no fun at all. Far too exciting.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:01 AM
GrossmeisterB
Professional

In my case, the screw to crank the keys it at the maximum, so I can't get it any higher with that.
I read of some people using a longer screw, but I also read that this would cause high stress on that screw and it might break. That's why I was thinking of different keys.
Sure, ball joints will be at a non-ideal angle. I know that there are different front upper control arms to compensate for that.
Also there are different axles in the front, too.
But I don't know how the rest of the drivetrain will behave? Anyone got any experience?

Old 02-22-2024, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Larger tires with the same gears is going to beat up your bottom end torque, but, it'll go faster. (and the speedometer will be wrong....) The biggest issue is with the front end, ball joints and CV axles.... the rest simply won't care. Oh, gas mileage will suffer with the larger tires too.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:45 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You'll want to re-gear to 4.56 to maintain the pep

Old 02-22-2024, 04:39 PM
GrossmeisterB
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Larger tires with the same gears is going to beat up your bottom end torque, but, it'll go faster. (and the speedometer will be wrong....) The biggest issue is with the front end, ball joints and CV axles.... the rest simply won't care. Oh, gas mileage will suffer with the larger tires too.
As I already have the tires on for quite some time now, I know all the points really good. Gas mileage didn't change that much, but I do a lot of Autobahn driving, so it shouldn't matter that much overall.
Speedometer is corrected with my Diablosport Predator, so no big thing.
Bottom end torque is still enough I think, doesn't feel really slower compared to 285/70R17 I had before.

I contacted a guy on YT, he had a similar lift for 40k miles now and he said he had no trouble with the ball joints.

Maybe I should just try it out? Replacing the CV axles has been on my list anway, feeling a slight vibration after cranking the keys...

Old 02-22-2024, 05:17 PM
GrossmeisterB
Professional

Originally Posted by Prismatic
You'll want to re-gear to 4.56 to maintain the pep
BTW, how much is your truck lifted? The one in the signature? Looks so hot!

Old 02-22-2024, 11:11 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

6 inch, rough country but the rear is not on blocks, it's a set of skyjacker leafs. I didn't like the axle wrap you get with blocks.

Quick Reply: 3" lift - change anything else? Shocks, axles?