3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 12:12 PM
Icefishingnut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling issue

HI
FIRST log in. I have a 2007 ram1500 4.7. I replaced the radiator because it was leaking. When i pulled the lower radiator hose off there was very little coolant. I put the new one in. Never did a coolant flush. After letting run with cap off for 20 minutes i took for a ride. Gauge is at normal jusst below 1/2. Heat is hot out of the vents. When i checked everything when i got back the upper raditor was hot and hard. The lower radiator hose is cool and hard. The radiator cap is cold. When i take the radiator cap off and squeeze either hose the fluid comes out at the neck. So could this be from not doung a cooling flush?
thanks
gs.

Old 06-09-2024, 12:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

The system will pressurize as it warms up. Sounds to me like normal operation.

NEVER open the cooling system when hot. That can have rather dire consequences.

Welcome to DF!

Old 06-09-2024, 12:19 PM
Icefishingnut

So after it is heated up and i drive 5 miles check and the lower hose is still cool. And the radiator cap is cool. Upper hose is hot. This is normal? I would think the cap anf lower hose would be hot to? Forgot to mention also when i took the cap off. The antifreeze wasnt hot either
thanks
Gs

Last edited by Icefishingnut; 06-09-2024 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2024, 12:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the engine staying at the proper temp?

The upper hose IS going to be hot. As that is the return to the radiator. Lower hose will be cooler, since the coolant there has gone thru the radiator. Not sure what your cooling system looks like, or if the cap is actually ON the radiator, or a separate plastic tank??

5 miles ain't real far either. My truck would be just barely starting to blow warm air at that point. In the winter, about the time I get to work (7 mile drive) it just starting to get comfy in the cab.

Old 06-09-2024, 12:41 PM
Icefishingnut

Cap is on the radiator. I know upper should be hot coming out of the thermostat. I have a high low gauge and it stays just below half. Wich it always has. Its 80 degrees here in central mn. So you would yhink 5 miles would be enough to get everything hot. Maybe its always been like that? I guess ive never checked lower hose and cap for temp. Just did now because i put the new radiator on. But would think if its hot going into the top of the radiator. It would be somewhat hot on the other side of the radiator then thru the lower radiator hose?
gs

Old 06-09-2024, 05:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Should be warm to the touch on the bottom hose. Should maybe be a bit uncomfortable to hold your hand on it, the upper hose, if you leave your hand there, it'll burn ya.

Quick Reply: Cooling issue