3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 ram 1500 wont start

Search this Thread

Old Today, 08:40 AM
Greg w
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2005 ram 1500 wont start

I have a 2005 ram 1500 4.7 liter that I'm having a start issue with. A week ago I pulled the oil pan because I lost oil pressure and found that the pickup tube was blocked with crusted oil deposits. The truck has 306000 miles on it and has always been dependable. When I dropped the pan I found a large piece of Plastic from a timing chain tensioner so I pulled the timing chain cover and the tensioner was destroyed. I bought a new timing chain set with tensioners and a new oil pump since I was already in there. Before I removed the oil pan I checked for obd II faults and the only fault was cam sensor failure. So I also bought a new cam sensor on line and installed it in the head. After the timing chain install and reassembly I started the engine and is started immediately and ran smoothly as I had hoped it would. I let it idle for 30 minutes while I filled the radiator and cycled the coolant through the engine. I then raised the rpm's to 1500 and it seemed smooth so I then went to 2500 rpm's and it seemed to start missing and stuttering. I then let it idle back to 650 rpm's and tried again to go to 2500. It stuttered again and this time when I retuned it to idle it stalled. I attempted to restart it and as it began rolling over it sounded like it hit a hard spot like a misfire. So I tried again and now all it does is crank over and over but not hitting a lick. My check engine light is working and my tach shows 200 rpm's when cranking. I used a circuit tester light and connected it to my cylinder #1 coil power signal and when you turn on the key it lights for a second and stay lit when cranking. I did the same thing with the #1 cylinder injector and it responded in exactly the same way. I can hear the fuel pump start and come to pressure then stop. I am stuck at this point and would appreciate any help with this issue. Thanks Greg w

Old Today, 09:20 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I would start with a compression test to make sure it didn't bend valves or anything

The following users liked this post:
Greg w (Today)
Old Today, 10:06 AM
Greg w

I'll check that this evening when I get off work.

Old Today, 10:10 AM
Greg w

I have photos of the timing chain mark's on the install I just have to make sure I load them correctly. I'm not sure if they are going to be to large.

Old Today, 11:09 AM
Greg w

Timing marks on new chains

Corored links in slots

Old Today, 01:30 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Yea the right head is hard to see from the pictures, but if it looks like the the left side on the main gear should be correct

Does the crank timing gear go at 6 oclock or 12 oclock. its been a minute since I did my 4.7 and i just did a one month service manual off all data so i cant even look it up without paying. Ill do some checking

EDIT: I do apologize the 6 oclock is the correct position, with the double link on the idler and single on the crank.

Timing marks do look correct then

Last edited by dodgetruck2; Today at 01:39 PM.
Old Today, 02:40 PM
Greg w

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
Yea the right head is hard to see from the pictures, but if it looks like the the left side on the main gear should be correct

Does the crank timing gear go at 6 oclock or 12 oclock. its been a minute since I did my 4.7 and i just did a one month service manual off all data so i cant even look it up without paying. Ill do some checking

EDIT: I do apologize the 6 oclock is the correct position, with the double link on the idler and single on the crank.

Timing marks do look correct then
yes i double checked and triple hoping not to have to do it all over again.

Old Today, 02:49 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't rule out a crib death on the cam sensor

You say you bought it online, that usually means amazon, sorted by Price: Low to High

Get a Mopar 56041584AF

Last edited by Prismatic; Today at 02:53 PM.
Old Today, 04:49 PM
Greg w

I tried the original cam sensor and I used my DMM to check resistance on both units and they definitely have different readings but I'm not sure what a good sensor should read. I was also told that this engine will run on either the crank or cam sensor but dose not require both once the ECM has set the timing. I've only heard this once and have no idea if that is true.

Old Today, 04:51 PM
Greg w

Where can I open the fuel rail and insure I'm getting fuel?

Quick Reply: 2005 ram 1500 wont start