3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HEMI competition?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006 | 03:12 AM
Horseapples
|
Record Breaker
Default RE: HEMI competition?

its a 2004 SS awd,its so stinkin heavy with all that awd crap,he still hasnt caught up

Old 01-13-2006 | 05:10 AM
kniteraven

ORIGINAL: Horseapples

its a 2004 SS awd,its so stinkin heavy with all that awd crap,he still hasnt caught up
Sorry, don't buy your weight theory. The 2005 Chevy Silverado SS w/AWD has a listed curb weight of 5192 lbs. That is actually lighter than any Dodge Ram QC 4X4 which weigh in at 5290 lbs. The lightest Ram of course is the standard cab, short box, 4.7L weighing in at 4633. In this case the weight is in your favor, but the SS would kick your rear end without breaking a sweat. I would love to see a race between you two, maybe he's sandbagging[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 01-13-2006 | 02:05 PM
Horseapples
|
Record Breaker

My truck is a single cab 2wd,the door sticker says it weighs 4280,I dont know if this is a good weight or not,but its close.the guy i know with the SS works with me,so we have a chance to square off pretty regularly since we work a late shift,we get off after midnight,we both access an interstate going home,I can beat him by 3 or 4 truck legnths to 100 mph,I have 3.92:1 gears,he has 3.23:1 gears,top end i cant hang,but 1/4 mile i get him every time

Old 01-13-2006 | 04:04 PM
Hemi_Chris
Professional

This doesn't surprise me at all. Much lighter truck, higher gear ratio, similar HP and torque. Horseapples could just be telling a tall one, but sounds legit to me.

Old 01-13-2006 | 05:10 PM
HankL
Champion

GM has followed a strategy with all their engines of raising the compression ratio for better 'daily driving MPG' while having to slightly de-rate the maximum horsepower so that the engine can burn 89 octane gasoline. Lately GM has decided to continue this de-rate but to also slightly increase the cubic inches to make up for it, so that if Dodge has a 5.7V8 they will offer a 6.0 V8, etc.

Will this GM strategy win back market truck market share from Chrysler?
Who knows, but if it doesn't GM is going bankrupt.

Ford strategy is to make the insides of their pickups like luxury cars.

Old 01-13-2006 | 06:32 PM
Horseapples
|
Record Breaker

Have you seen the comercials where the 5.4L Dorf picks up the 25 ton tractor on the cable?I wonder how many pullies it took to multiply sufficent torque to lift that load!? They never show the top of the screen where the pully/pullies are,makes one wonder.....

on another note,I am thinking about buying one of those explorers or new Jeeps that can go under the ocean,I like looking at fishies!!

Quick Reply: HEMI competition?