3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Horsepower???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:07 AM
2002ramman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower???

hey i have a 2002 3.7 L v6 regular cab truck and i was wondering some good ways to add a little more power to it without doing anything crazy like supercharging. anyone have any ideas?

upgrades:
.410 ring and pinion gear set
2 6x9 3 way kennwood speakers
1 10" jl sub
fog lights
billet bruhed aluminom gas cover
bed rails

Old 01-26-2006, 07:38 PM
RedRam225
Professional
Default RE: Horsepower???

By all accounts, a more free-flowing exhaust helps a bit. Also there is some who feel there can be some gains by replacing the "box" intake to a "tube" intake.

I saw an article in a truck magazine that was extolling the virtue of a truck magazine one time about adding Nitrous, and giving it aq "one size up ' engine boost, if it is a 4, boost it to a 6 and if a 6 to an 8. I think Nitrous is fairly inexpensive, and will clearly add some poop!

Just remember, at the end of the day, it wil always be a 6 - Of course there is nothing wrong with maximizing your motor!

Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 AM
spiffdank3.7
Rookie

explain your gear set, do u like the lower gears, Im thinking about 4.56s, and keeping my 17s, If you want a little extra power I wouldnt go with an exaust( it will just make it louder) I strongly recommend keeping your stock airbox, what you should replace is your air hat with a 30$ jeep liberty intake tube, that along with a fastman throttle body will be the best for the truck, especially if your rear gears are really 410s, that is where are trucks lack, low end, pulling power, by the way, what rpm does your truck do 70 mph or 90 mph, mine does 90 at 2600 rpm

Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 AM
2002ramman

on regards to nitrous i hear that it can be very damaging to your truck? i just put my gears in yesterday and have not had a chance to get the speedometer set. i am hoping to get speedometer set either friday or sat so i will post the new specs asap. but just driving around town i noticed a diffrence mainly off the line. my friend with a v8 chevy used to be able to hang right with me and pull of once i hit top of 2nd now i smoked him all the way threw. VERY PLEASED!
hey spiffdank3.7 did u notice a increase in power when u added the stage to jet? i was looking at those but i do not as of now have intake or exhaust upgrades. i am very scared to do exhaust on a v6 most of the ones i hear dont sound very good....ne thoughts????

Old 01-27-2006, 10:09 PM
spiffdank3.7
Rookie

Yeah I personally think the stock exhaust is the best for are trucks, wish i would have kept mine, no the jet chip doesnt do much, if it was a little cheaper then i would recommend it, actually i will be putting a 75 shot of nos in, It really is safe as long as you are not greedy with it, and you installed the 4.10s yourself, was it hard, and where did u get them from and how much, like i said before, I think the best upgrade for me personaly so far was the fastman tb and the intake tube, also i have modified my cai for ram air, that with lower gears is the best we can do right now money wise and performance wise without adding forced induction

Old 01-27-2006, 10:50 PM
2002ramman

in the beggining i was planning on putting the gears in myself and i did a lil research and u need all kinds of micrometers and stuff or else it will whine like crazy every time u drive so i was scared to attmempt it so i went ahead and paid a trany shop to put it for me. it costed about 250 to get it installed. i bought the ring and pinion for 240. i know you can find them for cheaper but the guy i bought them from was good help so i figured i would give him my buissness. so where are you getting your 75shot? i read this articale on the nos system that automatically injects it when u go full throtle have u heard anything about that? what do u mean by cai?

Old 02-05-2006, 06:59 PM
2002ramman

with new 4.10 rear end:
50 2200 4th
80 2600 5th

HIGHWAY IS AMAZING!!!!

Old 02-05-2006, 07:26 PM
2002ramon24s
Professional

what sorta gas milage u gettin with the 4.10s

Old 02-05-2006, 07:43 PM
28this
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 2002ramman

i am very scared to do exhaust on a v6 most of the ones i hear dont sound very good....ne thoughts????
I have 02 Dakota QC 3.9 V6. I have an Air Raid intake system and installed a incinerator muffler w/4"x10" (dia.xlength) barrel tip on the end and it sounds awesome. I have no eng type marking on trk and people ask all the time if it is a V8 because of it's sound. The only part of sound I don't care much for is idle rev. It has a little bit of a high pitch wine like a rice burner on rev down. I know it is due to still having the cat on it though. My state has vehicle inspec though and can't pass with it off, so I deal with it. Down the road though, no problem and I can still hear (other than exhaust) inside the trk. Key thing for power gain from this is you have to have at least 32" of tailpipe after exhaust. No gain but noise if shorter. This is also one pipe. Hope to dual it identical in the future.

As for incinerater muffler, it is a twin to the flowmaster, except it has a deeper more mellow sound. If anything else, I would use the Flowmaster Glasspacks tube style. As for the air intake, I gained @ 15 hp. Later instead of just cold air intake, I intend to remove drive light in bumper and "Y" pipe intake into Ram Air using holes from drive light mounting area (more hp and a true cold air).

Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 PM
2002ramman

im still on my first tank but it is looking better. i ususally get abut 13. i have gone 235 miles and still have a lil more thank a quarter tank left so it is looking like it will be an increase. i will post probally at end of week actuall numbers when i fill up

Quick Reply: Horsepower???