3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Goodyear vs BF Goodwrench

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 04:54 PM
bbunn29
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear vs BF Goodwrench

I was wondering if anyone had their opinion on the matter. I currently have the Goodyear Wrangler tires on my Ram. I got a good deal on a set of the BF Goodwrench All-Terrains. Curious if anyone has any history with running this tire and what you thought of it. I know the BF Goodwrench tires require 80 PSI so wondering how the wear will be affected. I can say I am over the rough ride that the
Goodyears have given me. Any opinions will b e greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Daddywags
Record Breaker
Default RE: Goodyear vs BF Goodwrench

I have the Goodrich ATs on my truck. More agressive looking, especially with the white lettering, I love them.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:41 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

Did you just say 80psi?

Old 01-30-2006, 10:27 PM
tamuccmike
Veteran

um, yea, 80psi??? ok...well anyway i have the goodyears now..i like them...and i used to have the bf goodrich a/t ko's on my old gmc...i have to admit i put 40,000 miles on those and they still had an assload of tread on them...i really liked those tires, and they did look "aggressive;" All-in-all i cant compare them because i only have 14,000 miles on my ram now...i have nothing bad to say about the BF's, but my goodyears slide like a **** when it rains...but i also have a more powerful engine with the ram...so i think both are excellent tires, i know id never go with anything else on my truck

Old 01-30-2006, 10:41 PM
oppie311
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on where you drive. I had BFG all terrains and they were pretty good on the highway, not much tire hum. They also worked well in sand, dirt, and on rocks. But when you hit some mud, they don't self clean very well. Good in the snow as well. They also wear very evenly.

I can't tell you anything about the Wrangler all terain tires. But I do have a set of Goodyear Wrangler MTR's on my Jeep. All I can say is that they are AMAZING. On the highway, they are as good as any other mud terrain. The tire hum is nothing compared to a Procomp X terrain or a set of Boggers. Fairly quiet in my opinion. Off road, they tear through sand like it is a paved road. They self clean through mud just like you want them to. But they are by far one of the best tires on rocks (with the exception of BFG Krawlers). The tire compound is pretty soft so they just stick to any rock and the tread just bites the rock and lets you climb up. They wore pretty evenly but some of the lugs near the sidewall loose some small chunks if you drive on the highway too much. But it's not too severe, so it's not that big of a problem.

It all depends what kind of driving you plan on doing. You also might want to look into Nitto's terra grapplers. I have heard alot of good things about them.

And 80 psi??? More like 35, but depends on the tire size. But never 80.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:19 AM
mill500
Veteran

I'm on my second set of Goodyear Wrangler GS/A's on my Wrangler. I got 90,000 on the first set (absolute truth) and have 60,000 so far on the second set. Just kept them balanced and rotated and the air up. Off road traction is decent for a tire that also works well on pavement.

I'd definately recommend them. I've also never heard of 80 PSI in a passenger tire. The Michelin's I've got on my motorhome only take 70.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:34 AM
05_HEMI_HD

ORIGINAL: bbunn29

I know the BF Goodwrench tires require 80 PSI so wondering how the wear will be affected.
80 psi is for MAX load. The max load pressure varies according to the load rating of the tire. 80 psi is for load range E (10-ply rated) tires. Normal operating pressure should be in the 35 to 40 psi range.

The BFG ATs are a good all-around truck tire. Their only real weakness is mud.

Later

Old 01-31-2006, 02:18 AM
vinman966
Professional

I was running some BFG's on my F*@d truck and they didn't wear very well and they were kinda loud.
I was turned onto some Firestone destination At's (Firestone seems to be a cheaper tire due to the bad press)
Those tires were awesome! Rain, hail, snow even the slippery bugs we get here in the spring...nothing phased them. Agressive look too. Can't wait until I get to replace the Michelins on my Quad cab with a set.
I know Firestone wasn't one of the choices but it's just my .02

Vinnie

Old 01-31-2006, 05:08 PM
bbunn29

Ok, since I already have the tires I am installing them this weekend. Yeah the max pressure is 80 PSI, I will run around 55 in them. I bought all 5 tires from the dealership for $175. They still have the knobbies on them. They had to replace the rims on an 05 and gave the guy new tires, so my hook up at the dealership called and asked me if I wanted them. OF Course. Thank you for all of your opinions.

Old 01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

LOL @ BF Goodwrench

It's BF Goodrich, and I like them.

I personally hate the factory installed Goodyear tires, they seem to be wearing very quickly (and no, not due to burnouts) and the traction doesn't seem very good in cool weather.

Quick Reply: Goodyear vs BF Goodwrench