3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i am an idiot asking an idiot's question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:14 AM
b3nzyme
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am an idiot asking an idiot's question

being that im a noob im going to go ahead and admit it before i ask this question.

i have a 2005 1500 v8 magnum. it has no redline on the rpm thing, wdf?

does that mean it is safe to take it to its max 7000 rpms or will i still be doing damage?

see, im one of these racing freaks and i dont want to wind up being one of those people with blown up engines or bad engine probs and everyone else starts telling me what a dumb-a. i am that im stupid for having it taken up to 6000+ rpms too frequent. my only reply would be "well it didnt have a redline on the tach"

the following has nothing to do with the question and can be dismissed:

i wish i would have got a hemi but this magnum still does the job for me. (i bought the truck for looks and just to say i have a new truck.) i had difficulty deciding between srt4 and saving money or buying this. well i bought the ram and to my surprise this thing isnt as slow as i thought, but maybe its just because of where i live. over here, so many freaking idiots at my school race crappy things lke a v6 mustang (omg v6 how crappy) and chevy malibu and f150 and xterra. they brag all the time about how they smoked this guy and that guy and whos the fastest. i beat them all on the first time racing them and they don't talk about racing anymore around me. and thats pretty freaking sorry.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:22 AM
justint420
Rookie
Default RE: i am an idiot asking an idiot's question

So you have a 4.7 im assuming??? I have a 4.7 and it's not slow. Its not a hemi, but its not slow. And all of the rams have a rev limiter that will not let you take it to 7000. If you somehow get past this then yes you will blow your engine.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:19 AM
stykthyn
Professional

Your truck makes all it's ponies at 4800, I have seen mine go as high as 5500, after that you engine will shut down. So DC has protected your truck from people such as ourselves.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:04 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is an old joke that
RPM
stands for

"Ruins People's Machinery"

There is a lot of truth in that joke.

It is not an idiot's question to wonder about how high to rev an engine.

Keep the rpm's low as possible if you are more interested in engine life.

Ignore advice to 'open her up to burn out the carbon deposits'
because modern engines go to 'fuel enrichment' at wide open throttle and high rpm and this very rich air to fuel ratio actually creates more carbon desposits - not burn them away.

Notice all the posts asking:
"Why is my tailpipe insides so black?"
from the hot footed vehicle owners at all types of forums.

Old 02-15-2006, 06:12 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: HankL

There is an old joke that
RPM
stands for

"Ruins People's Machinery"

There is a lot of truth in that joke.

It is not an idiot's question to wonder about how high to rev an engine.

Keep the rpm's low as possible if you are more interested in engine life.

Ignore advice to 'open her up to burn out the carbon deposits'
because modern engines go to 'fuel enrichment' at wide open throttle and high rpm and this very rich air to fuel ratio actually creates more carbon desposits - not burn them away.

Notice all the posts asking:
"Why is my tailpipe insides so black?"
from the hot footed vehicle owners at all types of forums.

[sm=huh.gif]

Hank, I dont think the question was about ANYTHING concerning carbon diposits or about black tail pipes and I didnt catch him asking how to extend the life of his engine by keeping revs low. From what I understood he is after performance but wants to know what the RED LINE was so he did not over rev it by accident.

If you do have the 4.7L then your AUTO will shift at 5700 RPMs unless you get a SUPERCHIPS progrram. I would not worry about blowing up your 4.7L as long as you do your oil changes faithfully, it is a great engine and can handle its fair share of abuse... but if you where wanting to go fast you should have jumped on that SRT-4 ... those are real fast... and with a couple of bolt ons you aould be well into the 12's in the 1/4.

If you plan on modding your 4.7L shoot me a PM... I have done just about all the bolt ons to my 4.7L and Its getting to be fairly fast for a quad cab... When I wanted too I could get over 20MPG before the heads and cam swap... but since the heads and cams have gone in I have not had it tuned right so Im not sure what the new heads and cams will do as far as fuel economey... time will tell.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-15-2006, 08:01 PM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran

As my english teacher would say, "All questions are good questions."

Justin is right on the rpm limiter. Our ram usually gets it's highest at 5500rpm 'til it shifts. But we have the HEMI. We did although have the 4.7L in the durango we sold for the ram. That one got near 5300 before it hit a different gear. But if you hit 7000, that should do some damage.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:21 AM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: b3nzyme

i live. over here, so many freaking idiots at my school race crappy things lke a v6 mustang (omg v6 how crappy) and chevy malibu and f150 and xterra. they brag all the time about how they smoked this guy and that guy and whos the fastest. i beat them all on the first time racing them and they don't talk about racing anymore around me. and thats pretty freaking sorry.
LMFAO! You sound like me...lol! V6 Moostang=OWNED!

Quick Reply: i am an idiot asking an idiot's question