3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new deck wouldnt install

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
2005daytona600miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new deck wouldnt install

I have the infinity system, the first thing I tried to do was put an aftermarket deck (w/sirius)-Kenwood--I did replace the door speakers w/new infinity's. The new deck wouldnt play--the installer said I would lose my front dash speakers if I installed the new deck--has anyone had this problem?? I just traded in an '03 hemi QC 4x4 w/the same infinity system & didnt have any probs. Now I have the same system on the 05 daytona & cant get no sound on the new deck.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:15 PM
boyd98
Veteran
Default RE: new deck wouldnt install

yes - short of it

your factory radio has a pci bus that turns on a factory amp behind the glove box which powers all 7 of your speakers - you CAN'T use an aftermarket HU with this factory amp on later 04 and 05 models due to the pci bus turn on -

solutions -

1) If you want to keep all 7 speakers - buy an aftermarket amp - we can discuss more how to hook this up, if you go that route

2) If you want to keep just the 4 door speakers and install it yourself you have some work to do - BTW this is what i did - take apart the dash get to the factory amp, remove it. Run speaker wires from the new headunit to the wires that were previously connected to your factory amp

Let me know where you have questions -

I really need to take the time and do a write up on this...

Boyd
05 QC Hemi

Old 02-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Rauzer

Good info Boyd. Looks like you need to go all or nothing. I plan on replacing the entire system, but I usually go in increments, guess I wont be with the 06. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2006, 12:14 AM
stantheman
Professional

look in the audio section of this forum and there is a link to a place that makes the wiring kit you will need for the newer cars and trucks. that way you dont have to replace all your speakers yet.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:48 AM
jeeper183

[quote]ORIGINAL: boyd98

yes - short of it

your factory radio has a pci bus that turns on a factory amp behind the glove box which powers all 7 of your speakers - you CAN'T use an aftermarket HU with this factory amp on later 04 and 05 models due to the pci bus turn on -

almost...all system is CAN bus, and replacing audio system will cause check engine lite to come on, and take caution when handling CAN bus wire, if shorted you may kill the car. ALL VEHICLE COMUNICATION GOES THROUGH THIS BUS. EVERYTHING...!!

all the 06 models are CAN bus system except caravan and pacifica. most 05 and early models are PCI bus, PCI system does not have a bus communication trough audio system, ALL CAN BUS DOES..

Old 02-16-2006, 12:30 PM
boyd98
Veteran

Jeeper, im not sure what you mean. I have "replaced my audio system" and the check engine light has not come on for me. I have looked at the schematic, the radio portion seemed straight forward to me. factory radio has a pci bus wire coming out of it which connects to the input of the factory amp. It is this bus wire that connected and allowed your factory amp to turn on. the amp has two plugs, one's a input and also includes the output for the dash speakers, and the other plug is just an output for the 4 door speakers. I only had to cut plug for the 4 door speakers.

Your suggestion implies that that there was a "main system" bus wire that ran to the amp to turn it on. If this was the case you should be able to use a after market head unit with the factory amp no problem? How else does it know that the factory radio has been replaced.

Not sure I understand your reply, Im interested in more details.

Thx

Boyd

Old 02-16-2006, 07:55 PM
JoeKramer
Rookie

the CAN bus is on the '06. Is your truck a 2006 model? Looked like yours might have been a '05 Daytona truck? Or am I wrong? LOL

Old 02-16-2006, 09:12 PM
boyd98
Veteran

Yea, no mine is the 05.

My question is more out of curiosity. If the 06's amp is turn on with a CAN, what is in place so it knows the factory radio is not installed. Why can't use you an aftermarket radio with this?

Old 02-17-2006, 05:05 AM
stykthyn
Professional

anyone know if we can run the factory amp parallel to an aftermarket?

Old 02-17-2006, 08:28 PM
JoeKramer
Rookie

boyd98 - I bet the computer knows the radio isn't hooked up if it can't talk with it when the key is turned on. I bet someone is working on a CAN adapter so the aftermarket systems will plug in!

stykthyn - I bet the only way you can run an aftermarket amp with the factory radio and factory amp is to use the high outputs off the factory amp to get your audio. Thats how I am going to run a sub.

Quick Reply: new deck wouldnt install