3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:29 PM
justinp923
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas mileage?

just got a 06, 1500 quad cab sport. can't get better than 13mpg. anyone have any suggestions to increase fuel economy?

Old 02-06-2006, 11:41 PM
silentblinder9502
Professional
Default RE: gas mileage?

The only suggestion I have is to park your truck and buy a 4 banger vehicle. You can't expect much higher than 13 with a full size truck. I have an 05 1500 QC 4x4 and the best I have seen is 12.2 . Is your truck 4x4? If you read some of the posts on the forum you will see that there is not alot you can to do to increase the MPG. Best of luck to you

Old 02-07-2006, 12:03 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Drive like there is an egg under the accelerator, make sure you slow down, and inflate the tires. Other than that, there isn't much you can do. If you do a search you'll have more repetitive info than you'll know what to do with.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:11 AM
mikebol
Veteran

You're simply not going to get much better than 15 city and 19 highway unless you have a stiff wind at your back or are going downhill. Your MPG will slightly improve over the first few thousand miles.

1) Check your tire pressure. My 04 came from the dealership with really low tire pressure, I'm guessing to improve ride quality during test drives.
2) Running a Synthetic motor oil will probably give you 1 MPG improvement, maybe more.
3) Some say a cold air induction will improve it 1-2 MPG.

Mike

Old 02-07-2006, 12:59 AM
sandiegohemi
Veteran

You shoulda bought the V6 Ram if you wanted better gas mileage lol. All kidding aside, drive your truck like a grandma you'll see a slight improvement. Other than that, it's hard to make a 345 hp truck be "economical."

Old 02-07-2006, 02:18 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all what gear ratio do you have.... The trend is that those with the 3.55's are getting the worse fuel economey do tot he fact that thats way to low of a gear to get 6,000+ LB's rolling from a dead stop... then when the OD kicks on the 2.37 overall gear ratio is WAY WAY to GRANY to even hold the overdrive gear... Your transmission tends to drop the OD for the slitest head wind or the smallist hill....

With the 4.56's in my 2002 4.7L QC I was able to get 21+MPG average over a 2400 mile trip... when I was done I had over 456 miles a tank reading on my overhead...... The average speed was 65MPH@ 2300RPM's...

By going up to a 4.56 rear gear you get the best of both worlds (Feul economey & low end power) The 4.56's teamed up with your .67 over drive equate to a 3.05 overall gear ratio... still on the GRANY side and GREAT for the highway... and they offer much more off the line grunt... with the 4.56's it will take less throttle to do the same work, this adds up to better fuel economey. And on the highway your transmission will NOT drop the OVERDRIVE in favor of a lower gear...

DONT FEAR THE GEAR!!!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-07-2006, 07:39 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran

Take it easy on the gas pedal and coast when you can (so do not floor it to a red light).

Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 AM
AIR RAM
All Star

If you want the BEST fuel economy with what you have right now I do agree that DRIVING habits are an easy way to see improvements.

1) Man I can stress this one enough.... DO NOT matter what exceed 2,000 RPM’s... this includes on exceloration from a dead stop all the way up till you get up to speed... no matter what do not exceed 2 grand and keep your speed on the highway down to 60-65 MPH.... Yeahh I know that’s not that fast... but honestly if your not traveling more than 2-3 hours your not saving much time by driving faster... I know it feels like you are but your not.

2) Set CRUZE at 35MPH and use the push button to accelerate... but again do not let it go over 2,000 RPM’s... As the transmission shifts and the RPM’s fall below it, just lightly bring it back to 2,000.... Do this until your going 60-65 MPH. (you will see BEST fuel economey at 60MPH... it will still be VERY good at 65MPH)

3) Do NOT park in the far left lane! Chose the CENTER (BEST) or right lane... In the center lane you give merging cars room to get onto the freeway from the right and you allow those who are in a hurry to pass on your left... you will have NO reason to hit your brake/gas to speed up/slow down.

4) Like mentioned above ... COAST when ever possible... if know your going to have to stop or your rolling down hill... toss the shifter into neutral and let her coast... its almost free!

5) TIRE pressure ... Insure your tire pressures are all at least the recommended PSI... I like to fill mine to the MAX PSI on the sidewall.... it’s a stiffer ride but it gets you further with less fuel.

If you literally follow these tricks you will pull an EASY 19+ MPG out of your next tank of gas.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 02-07-2006, 10:25 AM
tamuccmike
Veteran

jesus christ are you kidding me? you'd really go through all that work to save a dollar on your next fill-up? Like mentioned above...it's a 5,000 lb 345 hp truck...you can not do anything to improve gas milage that much...just fill it up, drive and be happy that you live in a country where you can get gas anytime you want & it's not $5 a gallon..."dont drive in this lane and that lane," "never exceed 2,000 RPM, and drive with the "cruze" button on the steering wheel." Give me a break...Tire pressure is a good thing to squeeze an extra 5 cents from each tank...but more importantly tire pressure needs to be kept at the correct level for safety reasons...if you are a daily commuter that will help...and if you are constantly pulling up beside people, taking off and smoking the tires, yeah you are wasting gas...but give all that other crap a break...please.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:34 PM
AIR RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: tamuccmike

jesus christ are you kidding me? you'd really go through all that work to save a dollar on your next fill-up? Like mentioned above...it's a 5,000 lb 345 hp truck...you can not do anything to improve gas milage that much...just fill it up, drive and be happy that you live in a country where you can get gas anytime you want & it's not $5 a gallon..."dont drive in this lane and that lane," "never exceed 2,000 RPM, and drive with the "cruze" button on the steering wheel." Give me a break...Tire pressure is a good thing to squeeze an extra 5 cents from each tank...but more importantly tire pressure needs to be kept at the correct level for safety reasons...if you are a daily commuter that will help...and if you are constantly pulling up beside people, taking off and smoking the tires, yeah you are wasting gas...but give all that other crap a break...please.
Well I dont know about your MATH but mine tells me 20+MPG is better than 13MPG... I guess you like to spend you cash at the pump...

I pay up to 50.00 a fill up.... The longer I can go the more I save... The differnce for me is almost 100 bucks a month when I make that 50.00 almost two weeks... BUT if I just get in and drive like your sugesting... I need to fill up almost twice a week... so I can either fill up for 150 bucks a month or 250 a month.... But I guess that is pocket change to you.

And your WRONG there is allot you can do to make a DRASTIC change in your fuel economey... Your driving habbits are the first one you need to work on... and if you want even better fuel economey then toss in a set of 4.56's, electric fan & underdrive pulley... Combined with your NEW driving habbits you can and in most cases will get OVER 20MPG@60-65MPH!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Quick Reply: gas mileage?