3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge ram problem, love the truck please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:19 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dodge ram problem, love the truck please help.

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

The thing that sticks out to me is the fact of the P indicator not in a circle and you can put it into gear without hitting the brake pedal. My guess, neutral safety switch is bad or is out of adjustment. When you put it into gear did any of the other positions get the circle? If so did you try to start in neutral? Another way to test if that switch is bad or out of adjustment is put it into reverse with the key on, if the backup lights do not come on it is just another indicator you are on the right track.

Obvioulsy the truck does not think it is in park and cars will not start when not in park or neutral (controlled by the neutral safety switch). As for the other strange things (temp reading) I am guessing after reseting the computer the truck may have to actually start for them to work correctly.

Wow ....good call.............it could very well be what your saying about the neutral safety switch.
I hope it's that simple for the guy?[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 AM
stykthyn
Professional

My camaro did the same thing when the neutral safety switch burned out, it could have gotten wet and shorted out. If that is the problem it should be an easy fix.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
lesclifton

Thanks again for all the great responses. First, the battery was tested and in good shape. Second, I totally was thinking that same thing with the switch. When you changed to other gears the circle did not show. I did not check putting it in reverse and check the back up lights. I did follow the cable and linkage running down from the column all the way and checked connections and all. They came and picked it up last night though and took it to the dealership. I called down there this morning and was asking if they had any other problems like this and the guy seemed uncertain of alot of things. I am by far not a rocket scientist or anything, but sometimes I think I get more knowledge and help from this forum and from my knowledge than they have down there. I may run down there today to check progress as I have had issues with these guys down there before, and I will check the reverse lights as well. Thanks for that suggestion, it just may be the key. I will post as soon as I hear something. Thanks again guys!

Old 02-14-2006, 10:18 PM
lesclifton

OK fellas, I got my truck back today. They replaced the PCM and found that was not it, the neutral safety switch was ok, but noticed a broken wire that goes into the computer. Don't know how it was broke, but that was the prblem. I noticed though now the thermometer on the overhead constantly reads 130 deg Fahrenheit still. Is there a way to reset that or does it automatically set over time? I have ran it for awhile and it still has not adjusted, I checked the switch sensor to it and it was ok. All the other stuff works on the overhead, it is just the false reading on the temperature. Any ideas?

Old 02-15-2006, 12:25 AM
icebox3030

wow, my first post might have meaning...
i had a similar overhead console problem with my '05 Ram SLT, following a PCM replacement for the same symptoms you described earlier(e.g. engine stuttering, flickering dash lights, dying then starting back up, etc) I didn't notice the temp reading 130F at first, so I had to bring it back in the next day. Two hours later, the service manager called me back saying it was done already. Apparently, a final diagnostic check wasn't run by the service folks earlier to reset the overhead console. It was an easy problem to find and fix after they plugged into the truck computer. So that should be your answer, or it was a good excuse from the dealership to cover something else up. Hope this helps...

Old 02-15-2006, 09:03 PM
lesclifton

Well, I took my truck back in today and they could not figure out why it was reading a constant 130 deg F. Well, they ordered a whole new console and I can't forsee the console being bad just for the temp when all else on it works fine. I researched myself and found a mopar site that I got this info from.....

It reads as follows:

The ambient temperature sensor is a variable resistor that operates on a five-volt reference signal sent to it by the BCM. The resistance in the sensor changes as temperature changes, changing the temperature sensor signal circuit voltage to the BCM. Based upon the resistance in the sensor, the BCM senses a specific voltage on the temperature sensor signal circuit, which it is programmed to correspond to a specific temperature. The BCM then sends the proper ambient temperature messages to the EVIC over the PCI data bus.

The temperature function is supported by the ambient temperature sensor, a wiring circuit, the Body Control Module (BCM), the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus, and a portion of the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) module. If any portion of the ambient temperature sensor circuit fails, the BCM will self-diagnose the circuit. A temperature reading of 130° F will appear in the EVIC display in place of the temperature when the sensor circuit is shorted. A temperature reading of –40° F will appear in the EVIC display in place of the temperature when the sensor circuit is open.

I guess I will print this page and take it in so when they replace the whole console and it still reads 130 deg F I will pull out the sheet, especially after the guy told me that it has nothing to do with the temp gauge for the console. Maybe this will help smeone else out in the future.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Cool Dog

Hey, thanks for sharing the info. I luckily have had not one problem to date on my 05 with 17K on the OD <knock on wood> but I think we all appreciate it when anyone has a problem and posts the symptoms and repairs.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:02 AM
clamsjager
Rookie

ORIGINAL: lesclifton

Thanks again for all the great responses. First, the battery was tested and in good shape. Second, I totally was thinking that same thing with the switch. When you changed to other gears the circle did not show. I did not check putting it in reverse and check the back up lights. I did follow the cable and linkage running down from the column all the way and checked connections and all. They came and picked it up last night though and took it to the dealership. I called down there this morning and was asking if they had any other problems like this and the guy seemed uncertain of alot of things. I am by far not a rocket scientist or anything, but sometimes I think I get more knowledge and help from this forum and from my knowledge than they have down there. I may run down there today to check progress as I have had issues with these guys down there before, and I will check the reverse lights as well. Thanks for that suggestion, it just may be the key. I will post as soon as I hear something. Thanks again guys!

These guys and gals on this forum are way better than any service/ techs out there. IF you have a problem post it garenteeed you will get a fix of a closer idea of whats wrong. I hate going to the dealer you get the same old bull sh*t time after time. atleast here you get an idea of what it could be.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

Check your ground wires. If one of them is a little loose that will happen.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:37 PM
lesclifton

Well, I wanted to make a final post here since I finally got my truck back after 4 days being in the shop this week, and the dealership does not like taking advice from anyone. They put a brand new overhead console, in which never totally fixed it from what I was told and replaced the sensor (mmmmmmmmmmm...........) and wala.... ti worked like a champ after they refreshed the computer. I know they did not want to admit it, but after looking at the front of the truck at the sensor, it is new. Hope this will help someone else in the future if they have this problem.

Quick Reply: Dodge ram problem, love the truck please help.