3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge ram problem, love the truck please help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
lesclifton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge ram problem, love the truck please help.

Hello all, I have a 2004 Dodge Ram and coming home from work (about 1hr) in the snow it ran fine. When I got home it ran rough and stuttered a little, the dash lights flickered and died. I waited a minute or two and it started right back up and ran fine. However; this morning I turn the switch on and dash lights come on except the little square around the "P" indicator and makes no sign of trying to start. I have power to the truck and everything in it, it just does not make any effort to turn of or even try to start. Any suggestions? Thanks alot

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab

Old 02-12-2006, 01:42 PM
lesclifton
Default RE: Dodge ram problem, love the truck please help.

I also noticed one more thing after messing with it again. When the switch is turned on you do not need to push the brake down to switch gears like you normally would have to push the brake to change gears. The dash lights and all work inside the truck but the fuel gauge is the only thing that I don't see move when the switch is turned onalong with like stated before the shift indicator light.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:49 PM
SeventyGTX

Wow, its posts like this that make me wonder if I did the right thing trading my 05 Tundra for my 04 QC 4x4 Ram1500. My truck is waiting on a cam sensor from the dealer. It went out the day after I got it. My symptoms were it was dying shortly after startup in the morning, but always firing backup. Sorry I dont have an explanation to your troubles, but good luck with it. Hopefully it is something simple.

Old 02-12-2006, 04:31 PM
silvernightmare
Veteran

This is the first I have heard of something like this. Maybe you might want to try and remove the negative battery cable and reset your system. Sorry I am not much more help but I am still learning about my Hemi as well. Hope all works out for the best.

Old 02-12-2006, 04:46 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

You'll have to do a search, but someone else had a very similar problem that they traced down to some water in one of the main connectors on the firewall. Being that you were in some snow, it is quite possible that it has gotten wet on the inside. Do a search and hopefully it will turn up. Sorry I couldn't be of more help right now, but I's trying to cram for a final tomorrow. I'll try to do a little searching for you later on if you don't find something.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:28 PM
lesclifton

I appreciate your responses. I did disconnect the negative and made no difference. I even got a code reader but it always says link error I guess because it's not getting through due to the problem and there is no "service" light on. I looked for water as well and all looked dry. Now that I disconnected the battery my thermomoeter on the ceiling console consistently reads 130 deg Farenheit and does not adjust at all. I tried leaving the switch on for a while thinking maybe some current would get through after constant power on but nothing. I guess I am just trying everyting, I am out of ideas. I appreciate your responses and when I figure it out I will let you all know. Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to check the PCM connection on the Passenger(?) side. I wounldn't be surprised if it is water. Before you disconnect anything, disconnect the battery or pull the fuse to the PCM.

Old 02-12-2006, 09:51 PM
lesclifton

I checked that as well when I checked the other connections and all were dry. I just got fed up with all the other stuff going on, so I had it towed to the dealership. I didn't really want to do that because the only dealership here is.....well should I say very slow and sometimes not up to par. I really hate to say that, but I speak the truth. It is hard telling how long it will take before I have to start making phone calls again. I was hoping for something simple, but I really don't think it is gonna be. I will be sure to post once I get confirmation of the diagnosis and solution so if anyone else has the problem they will know. I hope ya don't though. It has been a really great truck though, first time in the shop, so I guess I can't complain that much. I love it and it will probably outlive me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27072/8333A320E10E46BF9B2D5D0BC8681304.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-13-2006, 12:38 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Did you check the battery? I know it sounds kind of elementary, but was your battery dying or dead?

Old 02-13-2006, 12:58 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing that sticks out to me is the fact of the P indicator not in a circle and you can put it into gear without hitting the brake pedal. My guess, neutral safety switch is bad or is out of adjustment. When you put it into gear did any of the other positions get the circle? If so did you try to start in neutral? Another way to test if that switch is bad or out of adjustment is put it into reverse with the key on, if the backup lights do not come on it is just another indicator you are on the right track.

Obvioulsy the truck does not think it is in park and cars will not start when not in park or neutral (controlled by the neutral safety switch). As for the other strange things (temp reading) I am guessing after reseting the computer the truck may have to actually start for them to work correctly.

Quick Reply: Dodge ram problem, love the truck please help.