3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to run without cat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 AM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to run without cat?

Anyone running headers without their catalytic converter? If so, how are you getting around the downstream O2 sensor? Is your engine light on? Or is there a way to trick the PCM. I have a Neon with a AF/X PCM that ignores the O2, and wondered if there was something similiar for the Ram's. Thanks for any input.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:36 AM
oppie311
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to run without cat?

Can't help you with any of your questions but i thought i might let you know that if you do remove the cat and take your car to get inspected, if they notice it, they confiscate your car. It happened to my buddy. I'm sure it varies from state to state, but if you are in Texas, be careful.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:17 AM
motorhead426
All Star

Thats why I love Michigan... no emissions inspections here.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:01 PM
dpfolie

I am no tree hugger but what do you really gain by removing the cat? This is a legit question that I hope somebody can answer.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

Absolutely nothing.

"Back in the day" catalytic converters were made with pellets and often too small or restrictive... Removing the cat's improved the flow of the exhaust and resulted in improved performance. This day and age, the interior of a catalytic converter is a honeycomb, and while 50% of the interior is restricted, the catalytic converter itself is 200% in size compared to the exhaust pipe... So if you have 2+1/2" exhaust pipe, your catalytic converter will be about 5" in diameter, and even though 50% is restricted, you still have the exact same air flow through the cat as if it were a straight pipe. I have seen vehicles with these new catalytic converters with 100K miles on them, cut them open, they look brand new on the inside. Unless your truck has a serious problem with burning oil or sending un-burnt fuel into the exhaust, and then igniting... Removing the cat's on a new dodge is pointless and expensive.

Old 02-17-2006, 01:09 AM
BlueHemi
Veteran

ORIGINAL: rob[GL]

Absolutely nothing.

"Back in the day" catalytic converters were made with pellets and often too small or restrictive... Removing the cat's improved the flow of the exhaust and resulted in improved performance. This day and age, the interior of a catalytic converter is a honeycomb, and while 50% of the interior is restricted, the catalytic converter itself is 200% in size compared to the exhaust pipe... So if you have 2+1/2" exhaust pipe, your catalytic converter will be about 5" in diameter, and even though 50% is restricted, you still have the exact same air flow through the cat as if it were a straight pipe. I have seen vehicles with these new catalytic converters with 100K miles on them, cut them open, they look brand new on the inside. Unless your truck has a serious problem with burning oil or sending un-burnt fuel into the exhaust, and then igniting... Removing the cat's on a new dodge is pointless and expensive.
YEP! That's what I was thinking too.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:58 AM
stykthyn
Professional

If you truly want it gone, get an 02 sim, this will send an intermittant signal to the PCM, thus fooling it that there is a CAT there.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:55 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I'm not looking to remove the cat for power. I'm looking into removing it for easy of removing the y-pipe, and making true duals on my truck.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:07 PM
vestpuzzle1
Professional

I'm back,,Howdy 'yall. I just take 'em off and away I go.....