3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 02:34 AM
brianwl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Brakes?

I have an 04 Ram 1500 4X4. At about 15,000 miles I started to notice a shimmy in the steering wheel while braking at hiway speeds. After another 3,000 miles and the condition worsening I took it to the dealer to have it checked out.

Dealer told me the front rotors were warped and needed to be turned. They also informed me that since brakes and rotors are a wear item and I was beyond the 12 month 12, 000 mile, I would have to pay for the repair. I pitched a total fit and went to the General Manager who told me he's seen the problem before and that the repair would be free and not to worry about it.

Now at 21,000 miles I decided to take a peak at my rotors on the rear. Well folks, those things are scored to the point that I doubt they could be turned. They look like they have about 50,000 miles on them.

Anyway, I called Dodge about it and they gave me the same old song and dance about the brakes being a wear item. Woman even told me about how she had to pay to have a rotor replaced on her car at 19,000 miles.

Here's the deal. I made the initial complaint and made sure she logged it in as an official complaint about what I believe to be a manufacturer defect.

If you're having the same kind of issue with your brakes, I urge you to call the Dodge Recall line found on the Dodge web-site and report them. Who knows, if enough people complain, maybe they'll fix the problem.

For those that are wondering, I'm a former mechanic that had to get out of the business due to medical problems. That means I know a little about brakes.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:32 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got Brakes?

Yes, the rotors are prone to warping. Most that have this problem just replace them with quality rotors and pads and call it done. So whether you spend the money now or spend the money later, it gets spent.

Quick Reply: Got Brakes?