3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MagnaFlow Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Nova307
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MagnaFlow Exhaust

Hello all I have a 2003 1500 Dodge Ram with a 4.7 stock engine. I am relatively new to the performance truck world. Wanted to squeeze a little more power out of this little engine. I know with this small engine I can't expect too much however I was thinking of adding a Cat-Back exhaust system to my truck. More specifically a magna flow system. However the local muffler shops I have been down to have told me they will used aluminized pipes with a Stainless steel magnaflow muffler and a 3" mandrel bent pipe with a chrome tip. I am running single exhaust. All for about 250 dollars. Can anyone give me some of advice and let me know how well it worked for their system? I am not found of the flowmaster system. I am not looking to have the exhaust to be too loud. Because I do carry passangers and don't need to drown out the convesation in the Cab because I am using an exhaust system. Any advice good or bad would be helpful. Thanks

Old 02-20-2006, 06:05 AM
silvernightmare
Veteran
Default RE: MagnaFlow Exhaust

If you want low cab drone and good sound go borla (is a little expensive), but if you want less expensive but good sound magnaflow is nice. If you do not want loud muscle sound, then yes stay away from flowmaster.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:20 AM
stump_breaker
Captain

Two things -
1. Use the search. It has been discussed many a time here and 2. unless you just want to say "I have a (insert overpriced brand name here) exhaust", try just a simple 12" glasspack on the stock exhaust. It wakes the truck up without losing your torque and the sound is not so loud you can't hear anything. If you do this, don't get the auto store type but get the one from your local muffler shop. Should be a different style and quality. Also, cost me $65 total...............

Don't get me wrong. I had a Flowmaster 40 series on my Z-28 and it sounded great but if I know then what I knew now, I would have an extra $150 + or - in my pocket.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:21 AM
hockeynut52
Professional

I am running the Magnaflow system now on my Ram 4.7. I had the Flowmaster 50 series on for 2 days before I had the muffler shop hack it out and swap it for the Magnaflow. $345 clams for the whole set up but I went with the dual exhaust out the sides behind the rear wheels. It has a nice mellow growl but there is virtually no in cab drone. You will still hear some noise in the cab with any performance exhaust but the Magnaflow is definitely tolerable in comparison to the Flowmaster. The Glass Packs are a little loud for me, but that is my humble opinion. Check out some sound bites on the internet or better yet ride with someone who has the set up you are interested in if possible. Good Luck. [sm=alcoholic.gif]

Quick Reply: MagnaFlow Exhaust