3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flex Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
fire10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex Fuel

Starting to see more about this on T.V. ads
Anyone have any info??
Are the 3rd gen Rams set up for it?
Thanks for your input

Old 02-19-2006, 01:32 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Flex Fuel

Corn/Ethanol.

This explains it a little.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/flextech.shtml/

To answer your question I do not think so. GM is leading the way on this one.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't this the E-85 you're talking about, or is this something different. I do believe that D/M has this available for the 4.7, but not the 5.7. I asked my dealer several months ago about it. He called D/M and they said no to the 5.7, and had no plans of ever making the 5.7 available with it. I wish we could run straight Ethanol!!! Even though its not as good as Gas, with the 5.7, already plenty of engine there for power.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:58 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I was under the assumption (Yeah, I know, we all know what happens when we ASSUME) that most non performance engines can run on the E85. As far as I know, all the vehicles I've ever had and my family's, with the exception of the Hemi, could be run on E-85. That includes an Explorer, Expedition, Sonoma, Taurus, Windstar, and a few others. It is definitely for performance as it doesn't have the same energy potential that gasoline does, however, it burns cleaner and typically costs less.

If anyone is interested in green running, check out Abarmby's (sp?) post on converting the Hemi to LPG. Very interesting stuff.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:07 AM
kniteraven

E-85 is is not very easy to find right now, in Illinois anyway. It is a much cleaner fuel, but the cost is not cheaper as many people believe. The Chicago Sun Times printed an article from a study done by a magazine (can't remember which mag, but it was along the lines of Consumer Reports) that used the Chevy Monte Carlo as their test cars. The car using E-85 fuel test car actually got worse mileage than the traditional gasoline test car. The cost was also more for the E-85, the article estimated about $3500 extra per year. I will try to find the the edition of the Times it was printed and post it.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:56 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Yes, the gas mileage is typically worse because the E-85 doesn't have the power potential good 'ole gas has. It does, however, burn cleaner and lets off less emissions and is thus considered "green." I don't think I have ever seen E-85 at a regular gas station and if I did, it would probably be more expensive. I do see bio-diesel and most of our city transit buses run off of it.

Quick Reply: Flex Fuel