3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Off Road Driving Lights *kinda urgent* :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:32 PM
justint420
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Road Driving Lights *kinda urgent* :)

I'm going to wal-mart to pick up some of those cheap "off-road" driving lights. I'm going to install them in the grill I guess since I don't have a brush guard. How do you install them? What should I know about this mod? Thanks

ps. the faster the replys the better b/c im buying them tonight.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:53 AM
prerunner
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Off Road Driving Lights *kinda urgent* :)

Should be pretty easy.

Constant power to the supplied switch.
Switchleg from the switch to the lights.
Both lights to grnd.

As for mounting...couldn't tell ya without seeing the mounting brackets.
Good luck

Old 02-19-2006, 04:20 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

USE A RELAY!!! i cant stress that enuff!!! dont just go to a switch with them. i dont know what the walmart lights come with for wirring but everything cam be found at any parts store walmart may even have it too. here is a diagram on how to do it can be a PITA to mount them cuz there isent much room because of needing room to open the hood/grill

too hook them to run off your high beam lights take the wire that goes from the switch to ing/batt power and splice it into your highbeam lights wirring where they plug into the bulb also the indicator light in the top right is not nessary and some switches have lights built into them

[IMG]local://upfiles/27664/3E634315F7DB4E118796CB5172DC3314.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-19-2006, 09:58 PM
GA Hemi
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Justint420, let us know how the lights work out for you... was thinking about doing the same thing to my Ram. The problem I came up with is will the lights get too hot and melt the plastic grill?

Old 02-19-2006, 10:00 PM
GA Hemi
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Yeah... like ryans590 said, use a relay!!! Really good idea... keeps alot of current out of the cab of the truck! Good advice ryans590.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:25 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GA Hemi

Justint420, let us know how the lights work out for you... was thinking about doing the same thing to my Ram. The problem I came up with is will the lights get too hot and melt the plastic grill?

i take it you wanna put them behind the grill (if not you will for shure be fine) putting them bhind the grill isent a really good idea unless you just want more looks than anythinf you loose a lot of light going through the grill you half to put them right tight to the plastic. i havent done it on a ram yet but i have on a new F150 FX (the grill comes wit the hood like the rams) i put 4 6in PIAA lights and it hasent melted anything yet and there right up aganst it wen its closed

Quick Reply: Off Road Driving Lights *kinda urgent* :)