3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

shake coming off of stop at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:17 AM
mackmodelb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shake coming off of stop at idle

I have an 02 1500 quad cab with 44K. Started noticing a shake coming off of a stop at idle. Let off the brake and just start to accellerate and the rear end, I think, shutters a little. Kind of feels like turning a corner with a possi on dry pavement. I noticed this the other day when it was '-7 degrees, but the wife says she has noticed it for a while now. It seems to happen intermittently, but now that I am looking for it, it seems to be there more often. Any ideas before i take it to the dealer for a painful wallet experience? Thank you.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:57 AM
hockeynut52
Professional
Default RE: shake coming off of stop at idle

I am not 100% sure, but I hear it may be the brakes. My 2005 was making a groaning noicse in reverse or just off stop when it was cold out. And I live in Florida so when I say cold I am talking 40 - 50 degrees BURRRR... When it is warm out I don't hear the noise. It may have to do with the fluid. But what do I know. I read all these forums too.

Old 02-24-2006, 11:11 AM
stump_breaker
Captain

Start simple. If it's more noticable when applying brakes then that is where I would start. Pull the rotors and have them turned then install some nice ceramic pads to help with heat. If it's just a random shake, check your front end.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 AM
blacktop
Rookie

ORIGINAL: mackmodelb

I have an 02 1500 quad cab with 44K. Started noticing a shake coming off of a stop at idle. Let off the brake and just start to accellerate and the rear end, I think, shutters a little. Kind of feels like turning a corner with a possi on dry pavement. I noticed this the other day when it was '-7 degrees, but the wife says she has noticed it for a while now. It seems to happen intermittently, but now that I am looking for it, it seems to be there more often. Any ideas before i take it to the dealer for a painful wallet experience? Thank you.
I have the same problem in my '05. Only does it from a stop when I first give it gas. It does feel like rear clutches chattering, but don't knkow for sure.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Mopar2511
Rookie

ya man just start simple check the brakes and it really sounds like the rotors, so check those things, if not check your wheel alignment and make sure they're balanced

Quick Reply: shake coming off of stop at idle