3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 tachometer has mind of its own

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 04:24 PM
JClishe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 tachometer has mind of its own

I've got an 06 QC 1500 4.7 that I took delivery of about 2 weeks ago. Does anyone have any issues with their tach on this truck? My tach doesn't move smoothly with the engine RPM's, it jerks abrubtly. For example, when accelerating from a dead stop, I may get 30 feet down the road before the tach moves from its idle position, and then it will just jump to 2000 or whatever. A few seconds later and it will jump again, say to 3000. I may go through a couple gears, but the tach will stay motionless. I've been driving down the road doing 55mph in overdrive with the tach sitting at 3000, which I know isn't right. Then it jerks down 1700 or so, but the engine RPM's didn't change. Also I've gone from 55 down to 0 with the tach never moving, it stays at 1700. Once I'm sitting at the stoplight for 5 seconds or so, it will drop down to idle.

It's completely random, everything I mentioned above is just an example. Its behavior is not repeatable, it seems to do whatever it wants, whenever it wants.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:49 PM
BigRigTruckin66
Veteran
Default RE: '06 tachometer has mind of its own

Does your odometer turn on and off randomly to? It happens in our sebring all the time. Should be just a short. If I'm right, I think the tach and odometer are on the same circut. I ain't the best in this field, but it may just be a short or loose wire.

-BigRig

Old 02-26-2006, 04:51 PM
rob[GL]
All Star
Default RE: '06 tachometer has mind of its own

It's 2 weeks old, and you know it's not right... Take it back to the friggin' dealer.

Quick Reply: '06 tachometer has mind of its own