3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Pls.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 08:49 PM
hemisp0rtN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Pls.

Ok i have 2 alpine type r 12's and a jl amp. Ive already built a custom box to go under my seat, but last time i tried to hook a cd player up, everyhting was hooked up, but no sound, it had power and all. I was told its a factory amp and i need to bypass it. Is this true? if so how do i bypass it? Another question i have is, Can you use the factory cd player for the subs and amp? If you can, could you explain how to do it. Ive been trying to find out how to do this but i cant find any help. If you guys can help id appreciate it very much. Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Old 02-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Stylin
Default RE: Help Pls.

That truck looks a lot like mine so I'm gonna asume its about the same. For me, theres an amp behind the glove box. It powers at least the two front door speakers that are actually subs and only get low frequencys. I believe, although I'm not sure, that the headunit powers the rest of the speakers. I do know the amp has a crossover in it for the front door speakers. Note that I have the 7 speaker system and the standerd 6 disk mp3 sirus headunit. If you don't have that this might not be the same.

I'm assuming by cd player you mean changing the whole headunit? I believe you can get a bypass in a wiring harness to change the stock headunit. Personally, I haven't messed with it yet because for me it's a lot of work. I plan on changing everything, including all speakers and that amp behind the glovebox. So I'm not talking from experence here, just from the research I've done so far. Hopefully this is all some sort of help to you.

Old 02-27-2006, 03:02 AM
hemisp0rtN

its helps some, i guess im a dummy lol. Well i was wondering if i could use stock cd player with 2 subs and a amp, or will i have to go aftermarket. Also if i disable that amp will it work, and do u know what wire(color) i will need to hookup or what not to bypass?

I took it to a local sound shop, and they said i would have to re-wire every speaker, from front to back, i find that bull**** and i know theres a easier way to do it, i think they thought i was a complete dumbass, and was gonna take my money =p

Old 02-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Stylin

Honestly, I planed on re-wiring every speaker. ;o Best bet I'd think is to find a wiring harness and see what it would let you do. Maybe take it somewhere else and see what they think it needs.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Rauzer

With all the issues of mixing aftermarket with stock, just rip all the stock stuff out. If your going to add subs, might as well amp the door speakers, and hardwire them all. Personnaly I think your just asking for problems trying to by-pass the factory amp using factory wiring.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:25 PM
hemisp0rtN

well i know it has been done i have seen it done. Also ive seen people use stock cd player, and they put the remote wire somewhere in the fuse panel.......

would i be able to just unplug the amp, or i also have seen but dont remember what wire. I can always do a aftermarket cd player, so lets go with that, ive seen someone post the switch a wire with a diff color wire, and it worked. Anyone know? I really need to know about this, no one around Virginia, knows ****.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:26 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Okay, depending on what you want to do.....it can be done....

If you want to rip out the stock headunit, you can still use the stock speakers and stock amp, but you would lose the steering wheel controls and you would lose the CD Changer portion of the stock setup. I did this with my Dakota and it worked fine. I had my subs hooked up to a seperate amp and the rest of the speakers ran off the headunit/pre-amp.

If you want to use the stock cd player and hook up subs/amp....then you need this JL Audio CleanSweep

It's designed especially for people who want to keep the factory setup but want to use subs and a seperate amplifier. It's also alot less of a royal PITA.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Ramman21
Professional

Dont know for sure but I was told that the package on my 03 QC 1500 had a seperate amp for each speaker and each speaker has 9 wires instead of your typical (+) (-) terminals. Some dont have it I know but just make sure.

Quick Reply: Help Pls.