3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'05 QC come with a hole in the muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:07 PM
jeffjs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 QC come with a hole in the muffler?

I've recently noticed that there is a very small hole in my muffler. I've only had the truck since July - it has 5k miles (but probably was built earlier and sat on the lot for a while!)

The hole is located at the back of muffler, at the very buttom near the seem. When I started it up the other day, I noticed there was a small puddle of water near the passenger side rear wheel. I would guess the dealer would fix this with no problem, but is there any chance this hole is there from the factory to allow water to escape? I can't image that's the case, and it's probably just rust.

This could be an opportunity to get a new muffler. I don't want to go the whole flowmaster/mangaflow route - maybe get something just a little better/louder than stock.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-01-2006, 12:23 PM
legend71
Default RE: '05 QC come with a hole in the muffler?

No it is not caused from rust. It is indeed supposed to be there. I believe it is to allow water to drain. Otherwised you would be replacing your muffler every year.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:51 PM
jeffjs
Professional

Thanks. This is my first Dodge, and all of my previous vehicles just leaked water out of the tailpipe. This one was new to me.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The small hole is in fact a drain hole. If it wasn't there, the muffler would rot out from the inside out much faster

Old 03-01-2006, 03:08 PM
rob[GL]
All Star

ORIGINAL: Gone Fishin

The small hole is in fact a drain hole. If it wasn't there, the muffler would rot out from the inside out much faster
What's the problem with that? Then it would sound better...

Quick Reply: '05 QC come with a hole in the muffler?